What the best ladder to use with an Intex Ultra frame Pool?

Re: What the best ladder to use with an Intex Ultra frame Po

Hi spleena27,

spleena27 said:
Even though this is off topic for this thread, Liz, be careful about how you install your electrical for your filter. That is the tricky one. Where I am, the electrical had to be at least 5 feet from the pool (or maybe 6 now), and I had to put a twist lock outlet in, and cut the plug off my filter and replace it with a twist lock plug. The twist lock is the minor issue, but if you are running conduit underground or whatever for your electrical, if you put the outlet at least 10 feet away, I believe you can avoid the need for the twist lock. Talk to an electrician who really knows pool electrical codes.
Thanks for the heads up. By the electrical, does that mean the outlet or the pump/filter itself? Our outlet is in a shed that is adjacent to the pool. I'll measure to see how far it is. I'm working on our building permit application now. I think it's written in a foreign language, and I only know English, Italian, and Pig Latin!

Thanks again,

Liz :wave:

Yes, the outlet. According to commonly accepted building codes, the outlet has to be a GFCI outlet, and it has to be at least 5 feet from the edge of the pool (or possibly 6 feet I don't recall). But the code really wants it to be at least 10 feet. If it is less than 10 feet, it has to have a twist lock -- a special outlet that only pairs with a special plub, which -- if your outlet us less than 10 feet away from the pool -- you would have to retrofit to your pump that prevents the pump from accidentally coming unplugged and also prevents you plugging in any devices other than the pump. (These codes are designed to prevent electrocution by us dopey homeowners who don't take the combination of electricity and water as seriously as they should.) I don't know if there is a maximum distance the outlet is allowed to be from the pool. Mine is at the minimum distance. The problem then becomes the length of the power cord on your pump. You are not allowed to use an extension cord in this setup, so you either need a pump with a long enough power cord to get to your shed, or you may need to dig a trench and install an outlet on a post closer to your pool. And again if it is less than 10 feet from the pool, you may be required to use the twistlock outlet and retrofit the twislock plug to your pump.

And by the way some towns also require you to install a ground wire around the entire pool, so that in case the GFCI fails, or something else goes SHTF, people in the water will not be electrocuted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.