Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my pump got half submerged and tripped the circuit

1. Back To Top    #1

my pump got half submerged and tripped the circuit

we got a massive rain and because our pool is still under construction the pump and filter are down in a area that ended up flooding and the pump was half submerged when it tripped the circuit. is it gonna be ok?
    Seafarer 32,500 gallons; Haywood (s244T)Sand filter; In ground, vinyl liner: 1 HP Haywood pump: Pool age approx 15 years

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my pump got half submerged and tripped the circuit

Hard to say. they are certainly not meant to get that wet. Can you make them replace itas you have not taken delivery of the completed pool?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

my pump got half submerged and tripped the circuit

If you have not completed construction, the builder still owns it and it is his responsibility. That is my understanding. Just don't accept the equipment or make final payment until you are satisfied.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

pumps are amazing, but in your circumstance I would try to get a new one. I have a pump under my pool house running my pond and it was completely submerged with power off. I wan't home at the time, otherwise I would have removed it and taken it apart and ran a VERY HIGH POWERED fan on it for hours. They just untripped the breaker and it's running like it never happened since then. Now that's lucky!!!
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hurricane Floyd flooded my equipment pit and killed power to the sump pump while I was away. The Hayward pump motor was probably under water for two days. It was never under power when it was wet because the water only rose when the power went out (I assume this was the case--that sump pump had done its job through floods and hurricanes for 20 years.) The Hayward ran once I dried it out with a box fan for 24 hours, but it died in the middle of the following season.

I'd insist on a new pump. I doubt there is much difference between two days and two minutes.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had not noticed this before, you said it tripped the circuit. This means something was under load when it blew the circuit and something likely "died" in the process to shorting. I would have them replace it in your yard and their insurance can cover it.

This is what I expect a reputable construction contractor to do.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100