Intellichlor and Shocking Issues - Please Help

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I have an Intellichlor IC40 and noticed today that the walls of my pool are starting to grow algae. I looked at the cell and it was reading Low Salt (red light) so it wasn't producing (FC reading of 0.5, uhoh) however I tested the salt level and got 3330. I figured I just needed to calibrate it but decided to cycle the power first. When I did, the salt light turned green. So now it's all of a sudden producing salt and all I did was cycle the power. This is a major problem because I have my system on a timer and won't check the light every morning to ensure it's reading correctly. I plan on cleaning the cell tomorrow but other than that does anyone have any suggestions??? I need to find a quick solution because I leave for vacation Saturday and don't want to come back to a mess.

Also, I'm just starting to follow the BBB method and have never shocked this way. I'm calculating that I will need ~1300 oz of 6% bleach, is that right??? That seems like a LOT. Do I put it all in at one time (like within one hour)?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.... :-D

Do a visual inspection of the cell and check for any white crusty deposits. If there are any, the cell will need to be cleaned. White crusty deposits are calcium scaling, and they can cause the SWG to think the salt level is lower than it actually is. The SWG will also think the salt level is lower than it actually is when the cell is wearing out. Cells typically last somewhere around 3 to 5 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.