Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor and Shocking Issues - Please Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Virginia Beach, VA

Intellichlor and Shocking Issues - Please Help

I have an Intellichlor IC40 and noticed today that the walls of my pool are starting to grow algae. I looked at the cell and it was reading Low Salt (red light) so it wasn't producing (FC reading of 0.5, uhoh) however I tested the salt level and got 3330. I figured I just needed to calibrate it but decided to cycle the power first. When I did, the salt light turned green. So now it's all of a sudden producing salt and all I did was cycle the power. This is a major problem because I have my system on a timer and won't check the light every morning to ensure it's reading correctly. I plan on cleaning the cell tomorrow but other than that does anyone have any suggestions??? I need to find a quick solution because I leave for vacation Saturday and don't want to come back to a mess.

Also, I'm just starting to follow the BBB method and have never shocked this way. I'm calculating that I will need ~1300 oz of 6% bleach, is that right??? That seems like a LOT. Do I put it all in at one time (like within one hour)?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated....
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Intellichlor and Shocking Issues - Please Help

[shock:mn1m2rha]You need to shock your pool.[/shock:mn1m2rha]

You can leave the SWG turned off during the shocking process. Bleach/liquid chlorine is what is needed.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Intellichlor and Shocking Issues - Please Help

Do a visual inspection of the cell and check for any white crusty deposits. If there are any, the cell will need to be cleaned. White crusty deposits are calcium scaling, and they can cause the SWG to think the salt level is lower than it actually is. The SWG will also think the salt level is lower than it actually is when the cell is wearing out. Cells typically last somewhere around 3 to 5 years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School