Filter and pump combo calculation

Mar 21, 2012
NC
First let me say sorry For the lazy question but I have run out of time and don't understand it all. I have a hayward s244t sand filter and a matrix power flo 1 HP 2 speed pump. My question is, how long would it take for this combination to turn over a 28k pool on low? It is plumbed with 2" PVC. The run from the skimmer to the pump is 15' and same for the return to the pool. The pool is 48". Thank you for the help.

The specs on the filter show 62gpm. It also says a filtration of 29,760 in 8 hours. Do I take the smaller on the two numbers (gpm) of the pump ir filter, because that's the limiting factor? I know those are ideal conditions when testing the filter and pumps and there's head loss and I think I remember linen saying the gpm specs arent that important. Well, that's all the information and questions I can think if. Thanks again in advance for the help.

The specs on the equipment are for maximum recommended flow rates so they don't really tell you actual flow rate. Without knowing a lot more about your setup, my guess is somewhere between 52 & 64 GPM.

But no matter what, I would get a timer because there is no way you would need 24 hrs of run time with any pump.

You may not need a full turnover per day. Currently, I am running fine at 1/2 turn per day. There really is no magic number so run the pump long enough to keep the pool clean enough for your taste. Of course chlorination is important too.

You may find though that low speed is not very effective at skimming and/or a running a cleaner so you may want to have some full speed run time. Some trial and error may be required to fully optimize run time.

Thanks mas, that is a great post in my opinion and really helps a lot. There are so many musts(ie. must have a turnover every 6 hours, if not, you need 3 in 24 hrs.,) and everyone wants tO do it right, but I get bogged down in details. Thanks for that post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.