How smooth should vermiculite bottom be on newer install

jmhjgh

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
We were swimming tonight in the pool with the lights on, and it was quite the shocker. You can really see all of the imperfections, and it was not pretty. I have nothing to gauge our install against, but I thought it would be better. I may have to try and take a picture and see how it turns out.

The pool light's angle of incidence is quite low...so as Bama Rambler said, all imperfections will be noticed....nothing unusual about it....unless you have huge gaps, etc in the bottom.

My pool is in its 17th season....only last week did I see a small circular depression on the down-slope of the deep end. I didn't see it at night with lights on --- I saw it @7am when the sunlight (low angle) first hit the pool. In daylight and even at dusk, I could not see the small depression (it looks like the heel of the installer's foot).

I will try and take a picture, but there are a few trowel ridges and indents that I can feel with my feet. However, there really is nothing we can do about until it is time for a new liner anyway. Thanks for responding.

Here, maybe these pics will make you feel better....i can't see anything wrong in the daylight but at night....

P5120342.jpg

They set my liner on vermiculite that hadn't dried.....i got about 10 foot prints walking across the deep end and numerous (too many to count) tiny pebbles all over the pool....

P5120345.jpg

our pool has trowel marks all over it too. BUT, we did it ourselves so we chalked it up to inexperience. Of course, we can only see it at night with the lights on too. No actual footprints like the above photo, just trowel marks. At the time, I was getting so frustrated with my OCD husband over this. He kept saying it had to look perfect. Now I know why. Husband:1 Wife:0 (scoreboard is reset daily)

harleysilo, we have the exact (except for size) same pool. Don't you just love the full width steps? Looking at your photos, it was almost like being in the deep end of my own pool. I actually took a double take at your screen name thinking maybe my husband posted this photo.

8corneflakes said:
our pool has trowel marks all over it too. BUT, we did it ourselves so we chalked it up to inexperience. Of course, we can only see it at night with the lights on too. No actual footprints like the above photo, just trowel marks. At the time, I was getting so frustrated with my OCD husband over this. He kept saying it had to look perfect. Now I know why. Husband:1 Wife:0 (scoreboard is reset daily)

harleysilo, we have the exact (except for size) same pool. Don't you just love the full width steps? Looking at your photos, it was almost like being in the deep end of my own pool. I actually took a double take at your screen name thinking maybe my husband posted this photo.

Yeah i think i commented in the redneck pool thread of yours about that. I LOVE our full width steps, just with the top step was 4 or 5' vs. the 3' that we had it made. My youngest LIVES on that top two steps.....running and jumping and landing on his knees on it....quick question...do you let your kids play on the cover? It is the worlds greatest slip-n-slide with a little bit of rain on it....

My pool bottom is literally perfect. It is like a sheet of glass. When I asked our Pool builder what would happen if we found a pebble or something after he was done, his response was that it would never happen, that the bottom would be perfectly smooth and it is. Even with the light shining on it, the thing is like glass. We used Bedell Pools in Oceanport.

I watched his men do the bottom and it was like watching craftsmen or artists. They had these wooden pallet kind of things that were covered in really thick foam and they used them to get from place to place.

Here are some pictures of when the man was doing our bottom
IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

[/quote]My youngest LIVES on that top two steps.....running and jumping and landing on his knees on it....quick question...do you let your kids play on the cover? It is the worlds greatest slip-n-slide with a little bit of rain on it....[/quote]

Haven't done that yet. I'm always concerned with how durable it really is. I envision the cover pulling away from the sides. If you let you're kids do it, I would consider it. Them maybe later we could all jump off a bridge together!

As for the top step, ALL my kids start at one end and belly slide to the other. They look like seals. Makes me LOL every time. Our top step is extremely slick. I sit on a lounge chair and watch people fall into the pool. No one gets hurt. I've even forgot and fell in twice. In fact, my pool sign says, "careful, that 1st step is slick".

lkae4 said:
My pool bottom is literally perfect. It is like a sheet of glass. When I asked our Pool builder what would happen if we found a pebble or something after he was done, his response was that it would never happen, that the bottom would be perfectly smooth and it is. Even with the light shining on it, the thing is like glass. We used Bedell Pools in Oceanport.

I watched his men do the bottom and it was like watching craftsmen or artists. They had these wooden pallet kind of things that were covered in really thick foam and they used them to get from place to place.

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8corneflakes said:
Haven't done that yet. I'm always concerned with how durable it really is. I envision the cover pulling away from the sides. If you let you're kids do it, I would consider it. Them maybe later we could all jump off a bridge together!
Well if your cover pulled away from the sides you would definitely have a problem....but it is designed to support the weight of a whole lot more than a few kids....just curious how do you get the rain off of yours? You realize how much say a 1/2" of rain sitting on that cover weights, right? Ours came with a special sump pump that i have to walk out onto the cover to place and retrieve.

I am jealous as well. We have a light installed at each end of the pool. If we were building again, I would have put them both on the long side of the pool shining away from the house.
Might have to make a new pool rule: no swimming at night with masks on!! At least I shouldn't swim with the mask as it makes me wish we could redo the work.

Wow That looks like great craftsmanship.. :salut:How much does it cost to get a new floor done like that.. ?

With the light on it's normal for it to look like the surface of the moon. A pic would help determine if it's normal, but it's common to see every little imperfection exaggerated in the light.
We've been in the construction stage 2 months already. After finally getting the electric completed today I turned on the pool lights only to see a disgusting moon-like surface. What a major disappointment, this whole project has been a headache.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.