Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How smooth should vermiculite bottom be on newer install

1. Back To Top    #1

How smooth should vermiculite bottom be on newer install

We were swimming tonight in the pool with the lights on, and it was quite the shocker. You can really see all of the imperfections, and it was not pretty. I have nothing to gauge our install against, but I thought it would be better. I may have to try and take a picture and see how it turns out.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How smooth should vermiculite bottom be on newer install

With the light on it's normal for it to look like the surface of the moon. A pic would help determine if it's normal, but it's common to see every little imperfection exaggerated in the light.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool light's angle of incidence is quite low...so as Bama Rambler said, all imperfections will be noticed....nothing unusual about it....unless you have huge gaps, etc in the bottom.

My pool is in its 17th season....only last week did I see a small circular depression on the down-slope of the deep end. I didn't see it at night with lights on --- I saw it @7am when the sunlight (low angle) first hit the pool. In daylight and even at dusk, I could not see the small depression (it looks like the heel of the installer's foot).

4. Back To Top    #4

I will try and take a picture, but there are a few trowel ridges and indents that I can feel with my feet. However, there really is nothing we can do about until it is time for a new liner anyway. Thanks for responding.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

Here, maybe these pics will make you feel better....i can't see anything wrong in the daylight but at night....

They set my liner on vermiculite that hadn't dried.....i got about 10 foot prints walking across the deep end and numerous (too many to count) tiny pebbles all over the pool....

18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

our pool has trowel marks all over it too. BUT, we did it ourselves so we chalked it up to inexperience. Of course, we can only see it at night with the lights on too. No actual footprints like the above photo, just trowel marks. At the time, I was getting so frustrated with my OCD husband over this. He kept saying it had to look perfect. Now I know why. Husband:1 Wife:0 (scoreboard is reset daily)

harleysilo, we have the exact (except for size) same pool. Don't you just love the full width steps? Looking at your photos, it was almost like being in the deep end of my own pool. I actually took a double take at your screen name thinking maybe my husband posted this photo.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    our pool has trowel marks all over it too. BUT, we did it ourselves so we chalked it up to inexperience. Of course, we can only see it at night with the lights on too. No actual footprints like the above photo, just trowel marks. At the time, I was getting so frustrated with my OCD husband over this. He kept saying it had to look perfect. Now I know why. Husband:1 Wife:0 (scoreboard is reset daily)

harleysilo, we have the exact (except for size) same pool. Don't you just love the full width steps? Looking at your photos, it was almost like being in the deep end of my own pool. I actually took a double take at your screen name thinking maybe my husband posted this photo.
    Yeah i think i commented in the redneck pool thread of yours about that. I LOVE our full width steps, just with the top step was 4 or 5' vs. the 3' that we had it made. My youngest LIVES on that top two steps.....running and jumping and landing on his knees on it....quick question...do you let your kids play on the cover? It is the worlds greatest slip-n-slide with a little bit of rain on it....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool bottom is literally perfect. It is like a sheet of glass. When I asked our Pool builder what would happen if we found a pebble or something after he was done, his response was that it would never happen, that the bottom would be perfectly smooth and it is. Even with the light shining on it, the thing is like glass. We used Bedell Pools in Oceanport.

I watched his men do the bottom and it was like watching craftsmen or artists. They had these wooden pallet kind of things that were covered in really thick foam and they used them to get from place to place.

Here are some pictures of when the man was doing our bottom

Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

9. Back To Top    #9

[/quote]My youngest LIVES on that top two steps.....running and jumping and landing on his knees on it....quick question...do you let your kids play on the cover? It is the worlds greatest slip-n-slide with a little bit of rain on it....[/quote]

Haven't done that yet. I'm always concerned with how durable it really is. I envision the cover pulling away from the sides. If you let you're kids do it, I would consider it. Them maybe later we could all jump off a bridge together!

As for the top step, ALL my kids start at one end and belly slide to the other. They look like seals. Makes me LOL every time. Our top step is extremely slick. I sit on a lounge chair and watch people fall into the pool. No one gets hurt. I've even forgot and fell in twice. In fact, my pool sign says, "careful, that 1st step is slick".
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by lkae4
    My pool bottom is literally perfect. It is like a sheet of glass. When I asked our Pool builder what would happen if we found a pebble or something after he was done, his response was that it would never happen, that the bottom would be perfectly smooth and it is. Even with the light shining on it, the thing is like glass. We used Bedell Pools in Oceanport.

I watched his men do the bottom and it was like watching craftsmen or artists. They had these wooden pallet kind of things that were covered in really thick foam and they used them to get from place to place.

I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    Haven't done that yet. I'm always concerned with how durable it really is. I envision the cover pulling away from the sides. If you let you're kids do it, I would consider it. Them maybe later we could all jump off a bridge together!
    Well if your cover pulled away from the sides you would definitely have a problem....but it is designed to support the weight of a whole lot more than a few kids....just curious how do you get the rain off of yours? You realize how much say a 1/2" of rain sitting on that cover weights, right? Ours came with a special sump pump that i have to walk out onto the cover to place and retrieve.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I am jealous as well. We have a light installed at each end of the pool. If we were building again, I would have put them both on the long side of the pool shining away from the house.
    Might have to make a new pool rule: no swimming at night with masks on!! At least I shouldn't swim with the mask as it makes me wish we could redo the work.

13. Back To Top    #13

On a 20x40 pool with cover, 1" rain would be 500 gallons. Or roughly 4000 lbs of water. I just don't like the idea of the concentrated weight of kids near the seams. Should be fine in the middle.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by lkae4 View Post

Wow That looks like great craftsmanship.. How much does it cost to get a new floor done like that.. ?
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.