Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep balanced while on vacation?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep balanced while on vacation?

We will be taking a 5 day vacation and I'd like to return to a nice pool. Here are my current readings, using the BBB method:
    TC 3.5
    PH 7.5
    CYA 45

I have a 15'x42" intex above ground so would putting several of the 1" tablets in the filter suffice? If so, how many?
    18'x52" Intex Ultra frame pool, 6981 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 2100 GPH

Under pecan trees (stupid move) and gets little to no snow in the winter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep balanced while on vacation?

Do not put tablets in the filter or skimmer. Get a floater and put them in there. It will take more than a few, but you can regulate how much circulates on the floater.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I can do that. Any idea how many i'd need to add? The pool is in the sun for about 9 hrs a day and my readings can go from 5 TC to .5 in two days time.

4. Back To Top    #4

Raise FC level to shock value with bleach before you leave. Put a bunch of tablets in the floater and leave it open just a crack ... Hard to say how fast they will dissolve. Keep a count of how many you use to estimate the CYA rise.

Make sure the floater can not get stuck against the liner or it may bleach.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you appear to have a pretty good handle on how much FC you're losing per day, perhaps you could do as I did just this week...

I've made simple "1", "1.5", and "2" marks on a clear plastic bowl. I asked a friend to drop by each morning, and add "4" to the pool. He didn't have to test, or try to worry about the math, or anything like that. Just pour 4 "units" into the pool from the bleach bottles in the closet. We, of course, know that was 4ppm worth of 6% chlorine, but he didn't have to. Sounds like you could ask someone to add "3" a day and be just fine.

Granted, that might be a bit more than you're using each day, but it won't be enough more over 5 days to cause any harm.

Just a thought. Nothing at all wrong with the chlorine tablets if you're managing the CYA.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink: