Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken Pool Line by a Fence Post!

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Pool Line by a Fence Post!

Hi,

I had some fence installers install a chain link fence today and they drove one of the posts directly through the return line that goes from the drain at the bottom of the pool to the pump. The other two pipes were untouched. I dug down to pipes, and it's a 1 1/2" PVC. And the water keeps coming through due to the pressure from the pool water. I plugged the bottom of the pool w/ a raft to slow it, but it isn't stopping. My question is, when I go to hack saw this PVC pipe to fit in a new piece into two cleaner edges (currently semi-shattered), and water is gushing out of it, do I just use the blue and purple PVC glue or something else to fit in a new piece with a couple of PVC couplings?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!!

Eric
    Portage, MI
    1) 18x36 inground pool.
    2) DE filter
    3) in ground
    4) vinyl
    5) 15+ year old pool.
    Intex 18' X 4', 7000gal, Krystal Clear SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken Pool Line by a Fence Post!

I'd put the winter caps on your returns so you can get things clean and dry.

Patching a pipe like that can be tricky. Often, there won't be room to get the fittings in to repair with conventional fittings. There are sliding fittings made to do the job called repair couplings. Here's a source, but you can generally find them locally. http://www.dripworks.com/category/pvcrepair
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I put the caps on the return line and that's not helping. I figure it must be from the bottom drain, b/c I have plugs on everything else. I tried to put a raft at the bottom of the pool, but that isn't stopping it... With water flowing during the repair, am I able to use these slip-ons? Also, what adhesive should I buy with water constantly flowing?
    Intex 18' X 4', 7000gal, Krystal Clear SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by enajdowski
    I put the caps on the return line and that's not helping. I figure it must be from the bottom drain, b/c I have plugs on everything else. I tried to put a raft at the bottom of the pool, but that isn't stopping it... With water flowing during the repair, am I able to use these slip-ons? Also, what adhesive should I buy with water constantly flowing?
    Set your filter to "closed" and/or close the valves on your drain and skimmer where they go to the pump.

I'd use the blue stuff for gluing it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by enajdowski
    I know exactly what you mean. John, the plumbing mentioned is the main drain pipe, before it gets to the valve and pump. Nothing but a steady flow of water.

You'll need to stop the water in order to glue. When I redid my plumbing, I used a big black trash bag over the main drain. Thin enough to get sucked down from the pressure/suction, and tight enough to slow the water down to a trickle.

You might want to excavate a good length of the pipe if you can, just so you can flex either end up and down to allow for a tight fit on the coupling.

Hope this helps...
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

6. Back To Top    #6

Broken Pool Line by a Fence Post!

The have compression repairs kits at home depot. I don't know if they go that large. The good thing is they do not require glue. They have gaskets that seal the joint.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

dive down and plug the drain?

8. Back To Top    #8

Shove bread in pipe right before gluing!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

Let me elaborate, i was posting from my phone before. Do as suggested and try everything to get the water to stop flowing out of the pipe. If you think you've got it all pluged up you can put a shop vac on the pipe and suck any remaining water out of it.

If you get it down to a trickle or possible even more, take some regular bread and ball it up hard in your hand, shove it into the pipe, you may do a couple of these plugs. Fix your pipe. The bread will dissolve and break down and get filtered out.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Since you have a raft on the main drain you can take a bag of sand and lay over it to help seal the raft around the drain.

They also make glue that can be used on wet joints. I suggest using either that or a couple of compression couplings. I use compression couplings all the time and have never had a problem with them. They can be used completely submerged.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I think DBfan has the right idea; dive down and plug it! You can take the cover off the main drain and just plug the pipe.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

IMO don't try to glue it if it is wet at all. Main drain will leak if it isn't completly dry and you will curse the fact that you are fighting a water leak and having to fix it over
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

13. Back To Top    #13

Seems you have three options:

1. Use one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... RRWidgetID

Supposed to work up to 300 psi, but one bad review makes me a bit skeptical.

2. Dive down to the drain, black plastic bag with a bag of sand (or pool salt!) sitting on top to plug the drain... if this doesn't work, hold your breath and remove the drain cover, then stick a potato into the drain pipe.

3. Pump the water out down to just below the level of the pipe. The flow will stop once the water line is below the pipe. Then you can dry it out and fix it properly.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

14. Back To Top    #14

Unless you are a diver with scuba it will be a stretch to plug the bottom drain to a point that will effectively stop the flow into the broken pipe. I would try #3 as posted before to be sure.

When I moved my pad about 25 feet I lowered the pool level and still had seepage in the pipes. I pluged them with various things until I was ready to glue them. I could not get the water to stop completely and the pipes totally dry. I used rain and shine glue and it worked and held for the past 14 years. There might now be a better pipe glue than what I used. Now we're replumbing the entire pool.
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    dive down and plug the drain?
    Dive down and just plug it with a rubber plug.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp