Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lower temp without raising TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Lower temp without raising TA

My numbers are all right where I want them, but the water is seriously warm. I have an aerator, but I don't want to lower my TA any more than it already is. What can I do? Thanks for any advice!!
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lower temp without raising TA

There isn't any other easy way to cool the water, unless you have solar panels or a heat pump with a cooling mode. Besides, it is easy and inexpensive to raise TA if it gets to low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Spiccolli
    My numbers are all right where I want them, but the water is seriously warm. I have an aerator, but I don't want to lower my TA any more than it already is. What can I do? Thanks for any advice!!
    I've read here that running a fountain or aeration device *at night* works well. I use one at times in the daytime so I can't attest to the nighttime but it sounds reasonable.

Just keep an eye on your pH and TA but those are both easy to maintain or tweak if it came down to it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I can vouch for the effectiveness of running a fountain or other aeration device at night. On the advice of a friend, I began running the pump at night from mid-July until around Labor Day of last year. The aeration from the overflow waterfall from the spa to the pool provided enough of a cooling effect to lower the water temp about 4-5 degrees - not a lot, but noticeable. Plus, some electric utilities offer off-peak rates. That might be worth checking into in your area.

I have recently started this process again this year. As previous posters stated, pH and TA are relatively easy to manage.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.