Skimmer for Intex - Wide mouth? Model?

I have drained my 18 foot pool about 7 inches and am ready for the Hayward Skimmer install tomorrow am... However, when I opened the box tonight, there is a double gasket (butterfly). Now I am confused as to whether the gasket goes on the inside or if it needs to lay half inside and half outside all the way around (which would be very hard to install). I assume the gasket goes on the inside of pool liner with face plate over it, then you place screw through faceplate, gasket, liner, and into body of skimmer. Then cut the liner to the edge of the inside faceplate. Please confirm.... Thank you...

I have drained my 18 foot pool about 7 inches and am ready for the Hayward Skimmer install tomorrow am... However, when I opened the box tonight, there is a double gasket (butterfly). Now I am confused as to whether the gasket goes on the inside or if it needs to lay half inside and half outside all the way around (which would be very hard to install). I assume the gasket goes on the inside of pool liner with face plate over it, then you place screw through faceplate, gasket, liner, and into body of skimmer. Then cut the liner to the edge of the inside faceplate. Please confirm.... Thank you...

The butterfly gasket is meant to go half in and half out. I agree that it makes the install very difficult. What I did was slice the butterfly gasket in half making 2 separate gaskets. I then installed 1 on the inside and the other on the outside. Then I cut the liner once the entire skimmer was installed. Made everything simple. 2 years now with zero leaks and I didn't even have to drain my water..... Good luck!!

I am certain I saw a video of a guy slicing the butterfly gasket in two. I think it was on youtube. I dont remember how I got there (you know how youtube is) but i did see it done there.

You don't have to cut the butterfly gasket in half.... There's an easier way.... Take the plastic face plate for your skimmer and put it where you want it on your pool.... Poke the holes in it for the screws, and trace around the inside of the faceplate to indicate the piece you wish to cut out....Remove the faceplate..... Very carefully with a safety knife, cut out the square piece, insert the gasket, then install skimmer as per instructions..... The gasket is one piece for a reason, it will give you a better seal around the skimmer and the liner.... :)

I have a 15 foot Intex pool. I installed a Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer today. It was very simply and my concern and anxiety was unfounded. Pool is on 24 inch anti-fatigue mats joined together. Poles sit on dollar store cutting plates to prevent them from cutting through the mats. I have an Intex SWG/Filter combo unit. Given the filter and pump functionality, I couldn't plumb it into the same circuit, so I elected to leave that circuit alone for now. I am adding the above skimmer which will connect to a Hayward pump and cartridge filter through its own circuit.

Starting configuration. Intex SWg/filter/Pump with factory pool connections.

image004.jpg

I drained the pool to below the level of the skimmer. You have to do this if you want to install the Hayward butterfly gasket as intended.

image007.jpg

Take the internal plastic face plate. Hold it just below the liner rim and using a box cutter cut out the inside. The pool liner material is quite thick and sturdy. It does not rip. It is easy to cut along the inside edge of face plate. Insert butterfly gasket with one side inside and one side outside.

image008.jpg

Hold faceplate inside pool and poke holes for screws. Insert all screws. It is tough to get them through even after poking the holes. Then screw into the skimmer itself. Use a #3 star screw driver. #2 does not work.

image010.jpg

Then attach the new inflow valve which is easy. Remember when selecting location and height that water level will be a little lower to allow for the in wall skimmer. I inserted mine a little too high such that it was just under water when pool was filled. Push pipe against liner from inside. Cut an X with box cutter. Push pipe through and trim excess liner. Tighten her up. I was pleasantly surprised that the inflow valve has an external male screw that accepted the standard Intex hose connectors.

image003.jpg

Then fill pool up and turn pump on. I had a small leak at bottom of skimmer. I simply used the #3 screw driver inside pool under water to tighten all screws. All was then dry and perfect..

This was a 35 minute job. My stress about cutting the liner was totally unfounded. It works beatufully and the skimmer is well supported on its own. I will post pics if able.

Just bought a Hayward thru the wall skimmer for our 18 round metal frame pool. We are using the cartridge filter pump and plan to upgrade it next year. Problem is how to plumb the 1.5 to a 40mm with a valve and still have flexibility. Confused on all the fittings can anyone help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.