Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snowcones anyone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Snowcones anyone?

So who broke down and bought a snowcone machine for the kids? Shaved ice anyone?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snowcones anyone?

Not me. My new Margarita machine provides both adult beverages and plain shaved ice if I so desire. I figure if I get some syrup or juices to pour over the shaved ice the kids will love it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

My Ninja will shave ice
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    Not me. My new Margarita machine provides both adult beverages and plain shaved ice if I so desire. I figure if I get some syrup or juices to pour over the shaved ice the kids will love it.
    I was going to post the same thing

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought one 4-5 years ago as a Valentine's Day gift for my wife (she loves them but rarely gets one). It looks like this one

The ice is makes is not quite "shaved" but it is also not like just finely chopped up ice either. I've found that if i feed it ice that was frozen in a bowl, it makes the best "shaved" ice, regular ice cubes make it more ice-y...
    Anyways I get flavor from http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com/

How is the ice from ya'lls various fancy blenders? I don't have a fancy blender and tried to make a pina colada the other day and get ****** at my crappy blender so i had to break out the snowcone machine, not ideal.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    My Ninja will shave ice
    You just saved me $300! We were going to buy a shaved ice machine, I had no idea my Ninja would shave ice! I tried it after I read this and holy cow I am amazed! Now all I need are the syrups
    -Julie
    25,600gal/33' x 52" Sharkline Heritage, Pentair Clean & Clear 150sq ft filter, 1.5hp dual speed Optiflo pump, TF-100 test kit, BBB method, Pool Rover S2-40

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    My Ninja will shave ice
    You just saved me $300! We were going to buy a shaved ice machine, I had no idea my Ninja would shave ice! I tried it after I read this and holy cow I am amazed! Now all I need are the syrups
    How was the ice?!? Can someone take a pic and post it?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    My Ninja will shave ice
    How was the ice?!? Can someone take a pic and post it?
    It was fine, like snow. I'll make some more and add a pic.
    -Julie
    25,600gal/33' x 52" Sharkline Heritage, Pentair Clean & Clear 150sq ft filter, 1.5hp dual speed Optiflo pump, TF-100 test kit, BBB method, Pool Rover S2-40

9. Back To Top    #9

Couldn't figure out how to post the pic here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/38921510@N04/7466986138/ it's super fine, not pebbles like snow cones, it's REAL shaved ice. Hard to tell exactly from pics though.
    -Julie

10. Back To Top    #10

I had seen it done on infomercials when they first started selling it. When I got mine a few months ago, the first thing I did was put some ice in it to see what it would do. You could use Kool-Aid for syrups and maybe not add the full amount of water... I think the bought syrups are too sweet anyway.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Anyways I get flavor from http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com/
    Yay for this, Harleysilo! I've got a couple of kid's parties that I wanted to find the paper cones, syrups and other do-dads for snow cones. Thanks for the link!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Snowcones anyone?

We got the ninja last year. That thing is awesome. From making fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies to pizza dough to any kind of adult beverage you can think of. It does it all.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

13. Back To Top    #13

Thinks for the picture, i'll take your word that it is like snow cause it looks like little tiny granuals of ice in the picture.

So these ninja's ya'll have appear to be right around $100 for just the blender with the ability to purchase some other attachments, is that correct?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Snowcones anyone?

I bought the ninja kitchen system. I think we got it at be bath and beyond for 160 plus you can google 20% off coupon and use it on a single item so around $130. It came with the pitcher and the smaller pitcher With all the attachments for dough an whipping like 5 total. It is so much more than a blender though. Well worth the $

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm surprised (since I don't own a Ninja and thought they were just cheapy "as seen on television" things) but on checking the Consumer Reports ratings, the $60 Ninja Master Prep Professional QB1004 is rated immediately below a Vita Mix. And those things are super powerful as well as super expensive!

So if you're looking for a blender- CR says its a good one!

16. Back To Top    #16

Snowcones anyone?

They are good machines. I have used a vita mix and both have their quirks. at $100 more or less depending on which one you get it is well worth it over a $400 to you name the price vita mix machine.

17. Back To Top    #17

I just saw a Ninja at Big Lots today... wasn't the whole professional kit but if you just wanted the basic model it would do the trick... Think it was $60 or something like that.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits