Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this product and ok one for adding Borates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this product and ok one for adding Borates?

I priced out buying the acid and borax and this product actually works out cheaper as far as I can see.

I'm not a chemist so hoping that one of you experts can tell me if this product fits the bill of doing the job without adding extra junk

It's Aqua (brand) pool soft supreme and here is the data page.

http://www.ilovemyoasis.com/commercial/ ... upreme.pdf

Thanks~
    [color=#0000BF]16x32 inground vinyl liner approx 23 000 gallons
    22" cyclone sand filter, 1 HP pump
    solar cover, solar heating panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this product and ok one for adding Borates?

survey77777:

Boracic acid as listed on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is another name for Boric Acid. Borates can be used to control pH drift due to a SWG or high aeration levels as well as to help control algae.

The MSDS lists the weight of the Boracic acid as between 60-100%. That's quite a range, so I would look at the product label to see if it contains other ingredients as well. If, for example, it were to also contain either stabilizer (cyanuric acid) and/or calcium be aware that this would increase the ppm of these chemicals as well, which you may not want. Not saying it contains either of these, but I would verify.

A friendly reminder: A full set of test results would help us to provide a more targeted answer for your pool
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is this product and ok one for adding Borates?

Thanks.
    My new test kit is finally en route. No easy task north of the border I discovered!
    [color=#0000BF]16x32 inground vinyl liner approx 23 000 gallons
    22" cyclone sand filter, 1 HP pump
    solar cover, solar heating panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit