Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ladder is driving me nuts!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ladder is driving me nuts!

My sisterinlaw recently purchased weddingcake steps to make it easier for her Newfie to get out of their pool. She saved her old ladder and gave it to us for when we would eventually need a deck mounted ladder. It's in great condition and the perfect size. However, the floating is driving me nuts! It floats up considerably - allowing the mat to easily slide out from underneath it when the filter is on and, when anyone puts weight on it to climb out, it bangs against the bottom pretty hard. I do remember reading on here somewhere about purchasing a vinyl bath math with suction cups and that might help with that problem.

But, does anyone have a way to keep it from floating up so much? There's no way to fill it with water or sand and the openings in the back are only about an inch wide so I couldn't get one of those nifty sand pvc tubes tucked back in there. I'm worried that it'll torque too much when the filter is on. And wear my liner out (hopefully the bath mat will help that!)!
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ladder is driving me nuts!

From The encyclopedia in Pool School:

While not a ladder, it does show an option for weights ... presumably the pipes are full of sand
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

sounds like there is air in it somewhere, can you post a picture? I have a confer A frame that can convert to a deck mount and there are plugs on each leg that allow you to fill the legs to help keep it from floating.
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

My Integrity Ladder has a box as the bottom step. You need to add bricks inside the box to hold it down. I have also seen "ladder weights" that look like the collapsable water jugs you use for camping and you fill them with sand.

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it bolted down to the top rail on the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just weight it down with some scraps of angle iron or rebar.

Kidding!

Any way to open the end caps and fill it with gravel or something like that?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If it is like my old ladder the bottom step come's apart at the back..I took a couple brick's&stuck in there.Did the trick.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I had one like that on my old pool. It came apart and had room for bricks in the steps. Post a pic. I would volunteer my ex but I think she has plans.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ladder is driving me nuts!

I filled 4" PVC pipe with sand and capped the end.
    All the big box stores have them, measured my steps and got a 36" long by 4" pipe from lowes and two caps.
    Cut to 30" Filled with sand and used normal PVC cement to cap the ends has worked great for 2 seasons now, no issues and best of all it didn't cost much
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not sure how to post pictures...but here ya go - hope it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

fill it with gravel and seal the holes. Only thing I can think of. Now you know why they gave it away. lol
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Is it bolted down to the top rail on the pool?
    No, it bolts to the deck.

I ended up repositioning the return jet a little so the ladder wasn't in the direct path. It hasn't been pulling it too bad. I'm hoping that just getting a thicker mat - with suction cups or something to keep in place - will keep the liner safer. Then I'll just live with it until a new ladder (would LOVE an angled one or *gasp* one with steps!) isn't such an added expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

I gotta agree with Glock. I'd find a way to fill it with sand and/or gravel and seal it up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.Then take some tie strap's to fasten in.Just make sure you wear safety glass's when breaking the paver's..You may fine some that are small&will fit without breaking them
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

If you can take the pipes out of the top if the steps, I would add some HomeDepot/Toys R US play sand. If the pipes do not come out, look ion the backside of the steps for a plug you can remove or make a hole and add the sand.

Or, make weights using PVC pipes as suggested above IIRC and zip tie them to the stairs.

I have heard you can get the jumbo, heavy-duty bathtub mats (with the suction cups on the back ) at Wal-Mart and use that as a ladder pad.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.
    I roamed Menards for a while until I finally found some patio pavers that were thin enough to work. I wrapped them up in duct tape - putting extra around one end to really wedge them in and, hopefully, prevent them from falling out. One heavy duty bathmat with suction cups from Wally-world and six pavers later - SUCCESS!

And my husband thought I was nuts...

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegoddss
    Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.
    I roamed Menards for a while until I finally found some patio pavers that were thin enough to work. I wrapped them up in duct tape - putting extra around one end to really wedge them in and, hopefully, prevent them from falling out. One heavy duty bathmat with suction cups from Wally-world and six pavers later - SUCCESS!

And my husband thought I was nuts...
    If they want stay in just get you some extra long wire strap's from lowe's,HD&put a strap around the step.They will stay then..Keep a eye on the tape.It may start breaking loose from the water.But, you will be fine for the summer.