Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ecostar vs tristar

1. Back To Top    #1

Ecostar vs tristar

I purchased a tristar 2hp 2speed pump from royal pools and they sent me the wrong pump. Well since I had to send it back I inquired about upgrading it to the Ecostar 2hp variable speed pump. They will let me upgrade for $295. I will be installing a 36x16 Grecian 19k gallons 3 returns 6 spa jets in cozy cove 2 in steps and 4 deck jets. Price for electric is approximately 12 cents. I know you all say .20 cents is where you start seeing savings but at $295 I think this would be worth it. Thoughts?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ecostar vs tristar

The cost of the Ecostar is not $300 it is $300 + what you paid for the other pump.

It will certainly allow you the flexibility to set flow rates for your spa jets. Although once you find the setting you like, you will not likely have to mess with the speeds again. You will also be able to run your pump on the lowest required speeds saving yourself some $ on electricity .. just hard to know how long it will really take to save that $300 back.

On another note, it should just hook into your Aqua plus pretty easily (I think).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ecostar vs tristar

Yeah I know what you mean. I am already out the other money so I am not equating it into this situation since I have to have a pump no mater what and it was bought in a kit so I really don't know what I paid for it. I know I have a lot of jets and probably 75% of the time I will not need a high flow rate. Also like how I will be able to program the aqua plus to operate the Eco by percentages instead of high and low. I fugues if I can save $10 a month I would be happy just to have the flexibility it brings. Guess I have my mind made up just looking for conformations with my situation I will actually be saving something.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

4. Back To Top    #4

That is actually at great price so I would go for it. You should be able to make back the extra cost even with your electrical rates, it just takes a little longer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Ecostar vs tristar

Thanks for your replies. I think this is to good of a deal to pass up at a $295 up charge. Even if it takes 3 years to save the $300 over the tristar the convince the Ecostar brings will be worth it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, that's really cheap! Please post back how it works for you; we almost never hear anything about the Hayward or Jandy variable speed pumps.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Ecostar vs tristar

Yeah I thought so also. At 1st they wanted close to $500 but after talking a few times they came down to $295. I figure I paid $300 or so for the standard pump in the kit. Paid $200 up charge to the tristar 2 speed so will have about $800 in the Ecostar total in a new pool build. Royal swimming pools made the mistake of sending the wrong pump but also made up for it with a discounted upgrade on the Ecostar. They have been a pleasure to work with so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ecostar vs tristar

Whoop whoop

[attachment=0:2pu6f35k]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341351008.915559.jpg[/attachment:2pu6f35k]

Attached Images Attached Images