Help identifying pool type

lichen

Jun 25, 2012
We are going to be looking at this house this weekend, and I noticed that from it pictures it looks like the pool might not be one of the nice plaster style pools. It looks like maybe it's some sort of pre-formed drop-in? Could you guys please help me identify what kind of pool it may be, and whether or not a pool of that style is going to be more trouble that it's worth? Based on the city permits, it looks like this pool was built in 1997.

GZ5E7.jpg

3GkdB.jpg

rkxgf.jpg

Agreed on the fiberglass. If you get a change to touch it, that might help give you some indication. As far as 'more trouble that it's worth' ...that will only be the case if you don't manage your water correctly. The type of pool does not really dictate the amount of maintenance. If you get a good test kit, keep your water properly balanced, and determine the ideal pump times..you will have a Trouble Free Pool!

Since I have posted this I have actually done some more research on the pros and cons on fiberglass vs. concrete and realized that it really just depends on your wants/needs/situation. I guess I had been under the impression that fiberglass was the easier/cheaper route, and thereby less permanent.

However, you can replaster a concrete pool, but what happens when the fiberglass pool reaches the end of its lifespan? Can they be repaired, or just simply replaced? Maybe I'm wrong, but replacing sounds like a huge hassle because you would have to pull the whole shell out, and in order to drop a new one in you would need to find one exactly the same, or tear up the concrete deck surrounding it to drop in the new one. It seems that replastering your concrete pool might be cheaper and easier than ripping the old fiberglass pool out and then needing to replace your decking, landscaping and whatever else?

I think a fiberglass pool is just about as permanent as any other inground pool, just a different manufacturing method (i.e. one piece).

As far as 'end of life', fiberglass can last for YEARS if taken care of properly, and you keep your water balanced per the manufacturer's specifications.

As long as it was installed properly, it should be a great pool for many years to come!

Contrary to the idea of fiberglass being "cheaper", we certainly paid more for our fiberglass pool than an equivalent vinyl lined pool. We liked that we'd read fiberglass pools are a bit more algae resistant as it has a harder time attaching to the sides, as well as no liner replacement issues. We'd rather pay upfront for less bother down the road.

I guess my only worry would be that it's 15 years old. I have read some stuff that suggests they may last 25-30 years even, so I guess if it's currently in good condition then I would hopefully be just fine for a good while longer?

At 15 years old, I wouldn't even worry about that. I have a 36 year old fiberglass slide that is structurally sound, just as an example. As long as the gel coat is in good shape, and the shell itself hasn't taken any direct hits to compromise the construction, you have no worries. They don't have steel panels that rust, they don't have liners that leak over time, and they don't need to be resurfaced, unless the chemical balance is completely out of whack.

Most fiberglass structures are partially handmade, so quality is there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.