Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help identifying pool type

1. Back To Top    #1

Help identifying pool type

We are going to be looking at this house this weekend, and I noticed that from it pictures it looks like the pool might not be one of the nice plaster style pools. It looks like maybe it's some sort of pre-formed drop-in? Could you guys please help me identify what kind of pool it may be, and whether or not a pool of that style is going to be more trouble that it's worth? Based on the city permits, it looks like this pool was built in 1997.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help identifying pool type

IMHO It appears to be a fiberglass pool.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Agreed on the fiberglass. If you get a change to touch it, that might help give you some indication. As far as 'more trouble that it's worth' ...that will only be the case if you don't manage your water correctly. The type of pool does not really dictate the amount of maintenance. If you get a good test kit, keep your water properly balanced, and determine the ideal pump times..you will have a Trouble Free Pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

Since I have posted this I have actually done some more research on the pros and cons on fiberglass vs. concrete and realized that it really just depends on your wants/needs/situation. I guess I had been under the impression that fiberglass was the easier/cheaper route, and thereby less permanent.

However, you can replaster a concrete pool, but what happens when the fiberglass pool reaches the end of its lifespan? Can they be repaired, or just simply replaced? Maybe I'm wrong, but replacing sounds like a huge hassle because you would have to pull the whole shell out, and in order to drop a new one in you would need to find one exactly the same, or tear up the concrete deck surrounding it to drop in the new one. It seems that replastering your concrete pool might be cheaper and easier than ripping the old fiberglass pool out and then needing to replace your decking, landscaping and whatever else?

5. Back To Top    #5

I think a fiberglass pool is just about as permanent as any other inground pool, just a different manufacturing method (i.e. one piece).

As far as 'end of life', fiberglass can last for YEARS if taken care of properly, and you keep your water balanced per the manufacturer's specifications.

As long as it was installed properly, it should be a great pool for many years to come!
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

6. Back To Top    #6

Contrary to the idea of fiberglass being "cheaper", we certainly paid more for our fiberglass pool than an equivalent vinyl lined pool. We liked that we'd read fiberglass pools are a bit more algae resistant as it has a harder time attaching to the sides, as well as no liner replacement issues. We'd rather pay upfront for less bother down the road.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess my only worry would be that it's 15 years old. I have read some stuff that suggests they may last 25-30 years even, so I guess if it's currently in good condition then I would hopefully be just fine for a good while longer?

8. Back To Top    #8

The quotes I got put fiberglass on par with a gunite pool.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

It certainly looks like a fiberglass pool, and I love the classic design, with the highly angled decking. It looks to be in pretty good shape too.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

At 15 years old, I wouldn't even worry about that. I have a 36 year old fiberglass slide that is structurally sound, just as an example. As long as the gel coat is in good shape, and the shell itself hasn't taken any direct hits to compromise the construction, you have no worries. They don't have steel panels that rust, they don't have liners that leak over time, and they don't need to be resurfaced, unless the chemical balance is completely out of whack.

Most fiberglass structures are partially handmade, so quality is there.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Appears to be a San Juan built pool they have a similar shape now. When it comes time you can regel coat it, that will refresh the pool.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics