Putting a sun screen over part of the pool

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I'm thinking of putting up some kind of shade or awning or sun screen over part of the pool. The water is fine now, but we are coming into the hottest part of the summer and I think it will get too warm. I would prefer cooler water. Also it would help avoid over exposure to the sun, and might cut down a little on chlorine use. Has anyone here done this? Any tips?

My husband and I want to do the same. He is going to put 4x4 12 ft high, 6 of them at 10 to 12 degree angle away from pool. He wants to get a mesh tarp to block like 72% of sun. He is going to make a pulley system to raise it. Wind should not be a factor as it is mesh.
Our big goal is we have small stinging insects and wasps in the pool when the sun is out. We notice with any cloud cover, they are out of the pool!

I researched a lot about this... You can redneck engineer it and hope it holds up to the windload or you can spend 5 grand. I've chosen to do neither at this point, got a cantilever umbrella for some shade on steps for the little one.

There are plenty of sights that will sell you a quality "tarp" for little money, but it's the post and cable where they get you...I put an email into one site asking about design of the structure I.e. wood posts, they responded that they wanted to consult over the phone, I'll figure out who it was and post back, worth a quick chat....

Here was my email

Hi,

I have a newly constructed deck and patio that need shade. ?I've reviewed many of your pictures and one thing that I've noticed is the seriousness of the poles supporting these sails. ?In a nutshell I'd like to know what's the largest sail that can be supported by wood posts set in concrete and how big a post is needed. ?My deck and stairs measure 18'x12' and the patio is 15'x~20' but not all of it would have to be covered depending on the design of the sail. ?I could potentially get steel posts and if what's required is similar to "installing a basketball pole" do it myself, but if were talking steel poles that weight 100's of pounds and are buried 5' deep in a 1000 lbs. of concrete that would be another story.

The other thing i've noticed is that the sails listed for sale are rather small, seems like they may be intended for DIY'ers, however i didn't see any pictures of the small ones, just the massive?commercial?deals and some super high end custom jobs so maybe I'm overestimating the structure requirements. ?Do people that have them in residential settings take them down during winter typically?

Any info/advice would be appreciated,

Response:Thank you for contacting Tenshon.  I’m sending your message over to Elle, one of our project managers.  Elle will be able to better answer your questions.  Thanks.

480-663-3166
Www.tenshon.com

My husband and I want to do the same. He is going to put 4x4 12 ft high, 6 of them at 10 to 12 degree angle away from pool. He wants to get a mesh tarp to block like 72% of sun. He is going to make a pulley system to raise it. Wind should not be a factor as it is mesh.
Our big goal is we have small stinging insects and wasps in the pool when the sun is out. We notice with any cloud cover, they are out of the pool!
Did you complete this project? Any pictures?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.