Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low borate level

1. Back To Top    #1

Low borate level

Upon opening our pool this year we found our salt cell wasn't operating and after a month of trying to get pool chemistry right with pool store we finally determined something else was wrong. Cell was replaced, but since then the borate level has been at 15. I know store works off commission when selling product, so I'm hoping to find other options to get this level up. I've read over many posts but can't grasp the concept yet. They want me to add 45 lbs of the ProTeam Supreme Plus enhancer ~ $200.00, yikes. We have an auto cover and always cover then pool when not in use. Just added 20lbs yesterday, but would like to supplement this with a cheaper option to get this level up closer to 50. This is my second summer maintaining the new pool and had no problems last year. Didn't need to add any water this spring and chemistry was a-okay when closing it last fall. What causes the borate level to drop? I can certainly feel the difference at 15, don't like it. I am a beginner so no techy-talk please, just getting my feet wet!

27,000 gal salt pool, 2010
    Jandy aquapure system
    2010 18' x 40' IG, SWG
    27,000 gal, vinyl liner
    Jandy Aquapure salt chlorinator
    Mineral Springs Salt Sanitizer
    Jandy CL460 cartridge filter system
    Polaris pool cleaner
    Coverstar auto safety cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Low borate level

I am a beginner so no techy-talk please, just getting my feet wet!
    Okay. simply put, borates is not at all necessary for a pristine pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....that's as "techy-talk" as we get except you'll have to be more precise than "A-OK" for chemistry levels.....otherwise, we are simply guessing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If you do want to add borates there are other ways to do it that are noticeably less expensive. see this topic for way too much detail
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you...I'll read up and hopefully get a good understanding.
    2010 18' x 40' IG, SWG
    27,000 gal, vinyl liner
    Polaris pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the replies. I've purchased 55#'s of Boric Acid from DudaDiesel. Now I'm looking for a calculation to determine how much of this I'll need. Currently my borates = 15. Enjoy the 40+level. Pool is 28,000 gal.
    Is there a calculation on this site to help me? I can only find the one that calculates the 20 Mule + MA chemistry.
    Pool store is recommending I add 45#'s of ProTeams Supreme Plus which is close to $200. Is the amount of granular Boric Acid the same, 45#'s?
    2010 18' x 40' IG, SWG
    27,000 gal, vinyl liner
    Polaris pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

The Pool Calculator has a popup in the Borates section. Set that to boric acid and it will do the calculations for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

This is exactly what I was looking for. What a great site and I love the pool calculator. I'm on my way to taking charge of my own pool! Thanks again!
    2010 18' x 40' IG, SWG
    27,000 gal, vinyl liner
    Polaris pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep. Looks like 40 lbs of Boric Acid should get you above 40, and close to 45. Remember to put the 15 ppm you already measured in the Pool Calculator.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

9. Back To Top    #9

50 is a good number anyway.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Proteam Supreme Plus is probably the most expensive way to add borate, but that it is pretty close to Ph balanced and available locally surely made it more convenient. However, $200 for a 45# pail is highway robbery. I paid $137/45# pail + tax from my local pool store less than a month ago. Similar prices can be found online with free shipping.

If I had it to do over again, I would go the boric acid route. The DudaDiesel place everyone here is ordering from is less than an hour drive from my home.
    33k Gallon IG Freeform Gunite built in 1989 - Renovated Spring 2012 with Diamondbrite Plaster and elevated spa converted to waterfall
    Jandy Aqualink PDA Automation & Control System - Jandy PlusHP 1.5hp Full rated Pump - Hayward 36in Sand Filter - Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit