Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water is still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Water is still cloudy

Split from turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html Butterfly

I have been following the above instructions for about 2 weeks, adjusting the PH and FC at least 3 - 4 times a day for the FC. The numbers are GOOD, but the water is still cloudy. What to do now??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water is still cloudy

Welcome to TFP.

Post a full set of test results and how you got them.
    Run and OCLT if you haven't already. And if you have, post the numbers.
    Run the pump and filter 24/7 until it's clear.
    Post a pic of the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been running the pump and filter 24/7. Run and OCLT?? What is OCLT??
    FC is 4
    PH 7.5
    Stabelizer 40

We have a 24 x 4 Round above ground pool (13,500) hayward 1.5 hp and sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh...Yes we have been doing the OCLT and the FC goes down by about 2 to 2.5 ppm, whereas we have to add more chlorine. Do we just keep doing that until it clears up?? We have already gone through about 15 gallons of chlorox...

5. Back To Top    #5

Just keep holding the FC at shock level ... 15 gallons is not anywhere close to a record amount.

Since you are still loosing more the 1ppm of FC overnight ... something is still being consumed in your water.

EDIT: although clearly you appear to not be holding at shock level (which is 16ppm FC for your CYA level of 40pp). Have you read the Shocking Your Pool article?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

[Moderator EDIT: I moved your post from http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-yo...how-t4921.html to your thread here so that we can be of more help to you.]

We are still green after 2 months of clorox, borax etc...We've been shocking and brushing nightly!! If I buy more mule team and some acid, is this supposed to help. I am longing for a sparkling oasis... also i need to buy more CYA test chemical as we have used all this up in my kit.
    FC 10.5
    13,500 above ground vinyl pool, Hayward 1.5 pump, sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Don't worry about borates until your shocking is complete.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

You have yet to post up a FULL set of test results:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Based on the limited amount of information you have given us, it does not sound like you are holding the FC at your shock level of 16ppm consistently.

There is no way the shock process takes 2 months if done correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Perhaps an effective shocking is still needed. But what about the sand filter? I have cleared up many cloudy or tint green pools by either changing the sand and/or simply adding a filter aid to improve the filtering. And same goes for old cartidges.