Zodiac/Jandy VS-FLO PRO 2.0 - TWO BROKE (failed)!

Wicked

May 19, 2012
So I went to a variable speed pump a few months ago (pump named in subject). It went out after 3 weeks - looks like the circuit board burnt out as it had visible marks on the circuit board where it looked melted. It was fully replaced under warranty which was great.

Now onto pump #2 - same pump been working fine for about 6 weeks now and now I am getting the same symptoms. The iAqualink gives me an error (Pump 1 RS485 Error). The status says pump offline.

The pump is getting proper voltage when I turn the pump on, it gets power, the red "power" LED on teh pump lights up but this time the pump "clicks" lightly. I am going to pop the top off to look at the board to see if its burned up again.

Just curious for input from you guys if I am overlooking anything. The power is connected correctly - its getting proper voltage and the RS485 cable is fine and hooked up correctly. What else could be burning a pump out? Could i really have gotten 2 "lemons" from Jandy back to back? Are these pumps junk?

Thanks!

I dunno, but typically when we see multiple pumps failing for the same reason, there's some other problem (commonly something wrong with the installation). We haven't had too many people on the forum that actually own that pump, but I seriously doubt that the pumps are just junk!

Melt In The Sun said:
I dunno, but typically when we see multiple pumps failing for the same reason, there's some other problem (commonly something wrong with the installation). We haven't had too many people on the forum that actually own that pump, but I seriously doubt that the pumps are just junk!

Thanks and I agree with you 100%. But in reality install is pretty basic. 3 wires and 2 pipes. Voltage is correct and relay sends power then its turned on. Been running fine for 6 weeks. Very strange - thats why I posted to see if there is something I am completely over looking.

the only difference with this failure - is that when the pump is turned on it "clicks" like a relay is continually switching. ill try to post a vid or youtube and link...

I called Jandy support - sounds like they are having issues with these motors. While they didn't come out and say it but sounds like production is stopped until they get this issue figured out. My pump hopefully will be replaced soon under warranty going on a second week with no pump and trying to keep the water clear...

update - they wont ship me another VS Flo pro due to recent issues. They have sent me a brand new JEP 1.5 hp ePump

They are having their repair company come install it now - he should be complete in about an hour.

I am hoping the ePumps are more reliable. I will update with short and long term review.

Back in business with the replacement pump (JEP 1.5 HP ePump).

Much bigger unit, the basket on this is about double in size
43a456ea-9440-0b27.jpg
- but so far so good. Integrates with the iAqualink just like my other pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.