Pentair/Compool CVA-24T actuator... manual control?

CraigMW

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
I'm in the process of setting up an EasyTouch system, which came with two Compool CVA-24T valve actuators. I saw on a Youtube video that the Jandy JVA's can be controlled manually. I believe this is done by pulling up the valve handle to disengage the gears. How does one manually control the valve position on the Compool CVA units? I think having to remove the actuator itself would be a major pain just to allow manual control of valve positions.

There should be a small three way slide switch on the valve. Note what position it starts in! In the middle the valve is off. Switch to one side moves the valve to the position called for by the controller. Switch to the other side moves it to the opposite position.

Jason:

Okay, I understand that. That would give travel between one side or the other (based on cam settings). But, if there is a need to control the valve manually, is this possible or is it necessary to remove the valve. An example might be where I might need to set the valve at 50:50 when trying to reprime after getting air in a line.

Thanks!

Well, I think I've figured this out. It appears that both the Jandy and the Intermatic valve actuators have a spring underneath the bushing that connects to the 3-way valve control stem. This allows one to press down on the bushing to disengage the handle from the gear set and control the handle position manually. This spring does not appear to exist in the Pentair/Compool actuator. So, despite the common appearance and function of the Pentair/Compool actuator with those from Jandy and Intermatic, it would seem that the former lacks this manual control ability. I guess this would be one reason to go with one of the others. And the Intermatic appears to be significantly cheaper than the other two. Having to physically remove the Pentair/Compool valve actuator to control it manually seems pretty lame to me.

I guess I should have read Jason's response a little more carefully. Even though there is no mechanism to disengage the drive and move the valve by hand, you can still reposition the valve manually by using that toggle switch. To do so, you just move the switch to the opposite side, which will make the valve move to the other side. Once it moves into the correct position, you just turn it to the middle to stop. You can fine adjust the direction of the valve by toggling back and forth. So, while the Compool actuator does not have a disengage mechanism, you can indeed control it manually.

I originally thought that putting it in the off position would allow you to use the handle and move the valve. That wasn't the case for me though. Maybe someone could validate or debunk that thought?

doncaruana said:
I originally thought that putting it in the off position would allow you to use the handle and move the valve. That wasn't the case for me though. Maybe someone could validate or debunk that thought?

It is not that simple. There is a process as Craig states to disengage the actuator for the Jandy and Intermatic allowing you to move the valve by hand. The off button just means it will not respond to commands to move it (this includes standing over it and yelling at it to move ;))

I actually don't get why the pentair has 3 positions on the toggle switch to be honest. The "on1" and "on2" of course make sense. But what's the purpose of the 'off' position? For that matter, what's the purpose of even putting a place for the handle because you can never actually use it again...

AT least it gives you a visual reference for where the valve is turned.

And the off allows to to make sure the valve does not turn if you do not want it to. For example, what if your solar developed a large leak that you could not fix ASAP? Easier to just flip the actuator off than to go into the controller to shut down solar. OK, maybe that example was not very good, but there are reasons you would want to turn the actuator off.

doncaruana said:
I actually don't get why the pentair has 3 positions on the toggle switch to be honest. The "on1" and "on2" of course make sense. But what's the purpose of the 'off' position? For that matter, what's the purpose of even putting a place for the handle because you can never actually use it again...

Also, the off position allows one to manually position the valve for some servicing issues. Fortunately, the EasyTouch panel has fill and empty modes for the spa while in Service mode. I guess one advantage to not having this feature on the Compool actuator is it's one less part to fail and it minimizes the chance that the gears will slip out of position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
when the valve is broken it would be useful to be able to change the valve position without taking it apart to disengage the gears
Compool does not permit adjusting the position if the internal electrics do not work!

That is correct. Compool and Pentair do not allow easily moving the valve manually. Intermatic and Jandy do allow moving it manually more easily.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.