Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair/Compool CVA-24T actuator... manual control?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair/Compool CVA-24T actuator... manual control?

I'm in the process of setting up an EasyTouch system, which came with two Compool CVA-24T valve actuators. I saw on a Youtube video that the Jandy JVA's can be controlled manually. I believe this is done by pulling up the valve handle to disengage the gears. How does one manually control the valve position on the Compool CVA units? I think having to remove the actuator itself would be a major pain just to allow manual control of valve positions.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair/Compool CVA-24T actuator... manual control?

There should be a small three way slide switch on the valve. Note what position it starts in! In the middle the valve is off. Switch to one side moves the valve to the position called for by the controller. Switch to the other side moves it to the opposite position.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason:

Okay, I understand that. That would give travel between one side or the other (based on cam settings). But, if there is a need to control the valve manually, is this possible or is it necessary to remove the valve. An example might be where I might need to set the valve at 50:50 when trying to reprime after getting air in a line.

Thanks!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I think I've figured this out. It appears that both the Jandy and the Intermatic valve actuators have a spring underneath the bushing that connects to the 3-way valve control stem. This allows one to press down on the bushing to disengage the handle from the gear set and control the handle position manually. This spring does not appear to exist in the Pentair/Compool actuator. So, despite the common appearance and function of the Pentair/Compool actuator with those from Jandy and Intermatic, it would seem that the former lacks this manual control ability. I guess this would be one reason to go with one of the others. And the Intermatic appears to be significantly cheaper than the other two. Having to physically remove the Pentair/Compool valve actuator to control it manually seems pretty lame to me.

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I should have read Jason's response a little more carefully. Even though there is no mechanism to disengage the drive and move the valve by hand, you can still reposition the valve manually by using that toggle switch. To do so, you just move the switch to the opposite side, which will make the valve move to the other side. Once it moves into the correct position, you just turn it to the middle to stop. You can fine adjust the direction of the valve by toggling back and forth. So, while the Compool actuator does not have a disengage mechanism, you can indeed control it manually.

6. Back To Top    #6

I originally thought that putting it in the off position would allow you to use the handle and move the valve. That wasn't the case for me though. Maybe someone could validate or debunk that thought?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana
    I originally thought that putting it in the off position would allow you to use the handle and move the valve. That wasn't the case for me though. Maybe someone could validate or debunk that thought?
    It is not that simple. There is a process as Craig states to disengage the actuator for the Jandy and Intermatic allowing you to move the valve by hand. The off button just means it will not respond to commands to move it (this includes standing over it and yelling at it to move )
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I actually don't get why the pentair has 3 positions on the toggle switch to be honest. The "on1" and "on2" of course make sense. But what's the purpose of the 'off' position? For that matter, what's the purpose of even putting a place for the handle because you can never actually use it again...
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

9. Back To Top    #9

AT least it gives you a visual reference for where the valve is turned.

And the off allows to to make sure the valve does not turn if you do not want it to. For example, what if your solar developed a large leak that you could not fix ASAP? Easier to just flip the actuator off than to go into the controller to shut down solar. OK, maybe that example was not very good, but there are reasons you would want to turn the actuator off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana
    I actually don't get why the pentair has 3 positions on the toggle switch to be honest. The "on1" and "on2" of course make sense. But what's the purpose of the 'off' position? For that matter, what's the purpose of even putting a place for the handle because you can never actually use it again...
    Also, the off position allows one to manually position the valve for some servicing issues. Fortunately, the EasyTouch panel has fill and empty modes for the spa while in Service mode. I guess one advantage to not having this feature on the Compool actuator is it's one less part to fail and it minimizes the chance that the gears will slip out of position.

11. Back To Top    #11

when the valve is broken it would be useful to be able to change the valve position without taking it apart to disengage the gears
    Compool does not permit adjusting the position if the internal electrics do not work!

12. Back To Top    #12

That is correct. Compool and Pentair do not allow easily moving the valve manually. Intermatic and Jandy do allow moving it manually more easily.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator