Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stock Pump 16x48 Ultra Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Stock Pump 16x48 Ultra Intex

I have been fighting algae/greenish water for a few days now and believe I am on the winning side using the BBB approach. My concern is my pump/filter system. My water is now light blue/cloudy and I know it will take time for the bleach to work to clear. I'm wondering if my "stock" pump/filter is strong enough. It does put out a "current", but I wonder if I would be better to start looking for something stronger or even switch to a sand pump/filter set-up.

Also, when I vacuum using over the counter water hose set-up, it just stirs everything up...(of course, the bigger stuff goes into the mesh). Is there an alternative to this also?
    16 x 48 Intex Ultra; Intex 1600 sand filter/pump;
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stock Pump 16x48 Ultra Intex

A lot of people go to the 2650 gph pump/sand filter combo and are very happy with it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There is an alternative to the venturi vacuum you have. It is an actual vacuum that hooks to the pump. It will perform a lot better if you get a larger pump.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

Just ordered an Intex sand filter/pump today.....

I expect this will solve all my problems...LOL...
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

5. Back To Top    #5

It will help a lot. You also need an actual vacuum. The one you have is not very good. You are trying to get algae out, but all you are doing is sending it right through that silly bag and back into the water. You either need to vac to waste or clean the filter right after you vacuum.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

6. Back To Top    #6

Totally agree! Hopefully I will get my sand filter/pump early next week--then I will be able to use the waste feature. I will actually be able to vacuum instead of "stir-up"....
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx