New to pool ownership

Jun 27, 2012
Hello everyone!

I am also new to pool ownership and have found this site has a wealth of info! I just got m 18' by 4' intex pool filled and waiting for my SWG to arrive within the next few days (Krystal clear). I just had a few questions about actually starting the pool up: do I test/adjust water before I run the SWG? Or just run it and see where it puts my chlorine level? I'm sorry for the vague questions but I'm not even sure where to start and that's what brought me here!!!

Thank you,
Michael

Ok so I went through pool school a few more times and believe I got everything down...my problem now is that it's still going to be another 4-5 days until my SWG arrives and I made the mistake of filling the pool before I had it...

What would be the minimum I should do right now to maintain water quality until the SWG arrives?
I was thinking testing and and shocking to brig FC and CYA to a healthy level.

We're not planning on using the pool until I get salt in and the SWG running properly!!

Get your CYA in the 30-50ppm range now (CYA can take up to a week to show up on the tests anyway).
And then just use bleach to maintain the minimum required FC in the pool (see chart in Pool School).
That is it.
Once the SWG arrives, confirm your salt is fully mixed and the correct level (you can add it now). Raise the CYA up a bit and fire it up.

Even with the SWG you will still need to be testing your pool levels ... especially pH as the SWG will tend to make it drift up ... even more so if your TA is high.

BTW: Why wait to use your pool? That is just silly. As long the FC level is appropriate for the CYA and the pH is in range ... use it :cheers:

jblizzle said:
BTW: Why wait to use your pool? That is just silly. As long the FC level is appropriate for the CYA and the pH is in range ... use it :cheers:

Very true...I just wasn't sure about using it until ALL parameters were in place

Thank you for the advice, I will be picking up some supplies in the morning

Then I would go ahead and get everything balanced and ready and go ahead and swim until the swg gets there. That way all you'll have to do is hook the unit up when it gets there. And you'll make the family happy getting to swim earlier than expected. :-D

What make them happy makes me happy and I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way :lol:

I will be getting supplies in the morning, and do you think the cheap 6 way HTH test kit would be ok until I can get a better one?

It will be ok to use that kit until you can get a better one. Especially since you don't have to shock.

I'd go ahead and add the salt too. Take a water sample to the pool store and have it tested for salt. Even though you haven't added any water sources usually have some salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.