Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the pros and cons of these pump/filter configs?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the pros and cons of these pump/filter configs?

We are new to pools, but are about to purchase a 21' round AGP, possibly Sharkline or an Outback model, either 48" or 52". We are sold on getting a dual speed pump for the energy savings and the hopefully more quiet operation noise as we sit around the pool.

Finding dual speed pumps has taken extra effort, and I'm confused about buying them separately (which seems to cost significantly more) and what looks like a put-together system like what I linked to below. This Sand Dollar IS a dual-speed pump, right?

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... DO2260.htm

Buying a Hayward sand filter would be about $300 and a Hayward dual speed pump is another $400. Is it more expensive because of brand? Is there something different about that Sand Dollar system versus buying the separate components? I feel like I might be missing something.

Hoping to benefit from the wealth of knowledge out here! So thankful for all the info I've read so far!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are the pros and cons of these pump/filter configs?

I have the same system with a single speed pump and it's a great system. That ad says it a dual speed pump so that would be perfect with a 2-speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah. It looks like a winner to me, too! I'm wondering if there's some difference I don't understand between buying the separate pump and filter and this combo version.
    Is the extra expense simple because it's Hayward?
    Is this not really a two-speed pump? Anyone have this model?

4. Back To Top    #4

I just looked that model up in the pentair catalog and it is a two speed pump rated at 1.5 horse and a 22inch tank I am looking at this one also to go with my 24*52 heritage that I am fixing to order from pool supply warehouse. No one can beat there prices!!!!!!!!!!
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit
    BBB method and pool rover jr