green is in...but not for hair. Sequestrant?

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I have been battling the green in my daughter's hair and I'm losing. She is a toe head and her hair is neon green when it is wet. :( When dry, it is lighter green, but very noticeable. At first, it was just a green streak down the back, but now it is all her hair. I took a water sample to three stores and all tests came back with 0 for copper. I do realize that I could have copper but it isn't enough to show up in a pool store test. I have gotten advice from this site to pre-treat her hair and rinse it afterward. We are doing that, to no avail. My hair is darker and I am more careful about saturating it with good water and then washing it after so I am not burdened with the green. However, my hair 'feel's' like her hair. It is crunchy and tacky feeling and smells like pennies, even after washing and conditioning. I am wondering if I need to use a sequestrant. My water is very clear and I do not have any staining in the pool. I noticed the neighbor girl is going green too. Kinda feeling bad about turning the whole neighborhood into green aliens.

If I get the copper out of her hair and sequester the water, will her hair stay blonde?

On a side note, I'm assuming the copper came from the pond when we filled the pool. Pretty sure the neighbor put algaecide in to keep the weeds down. Hadn't even considered it before filling the pool. Ah, hindsight.

mpacheco72 said:
I concur on the aloe rid. Great stuff!!

I had been using malibu treatments, but it opens up the hair cuticle and the green gets worse the next day. I will get some aloe rid.

Also, do I use Jacks pink stuff? Does anyone know how much I should buy if I don't know how much copper I have? Do I HAVE to buy a copper test 1st even though the pool store shows 0 ppm, if so, which one? is tfp test more sensitive?

Start with the manufacturers recommended dosage of sequestrant. If that doesn't work, use more. If that does work, you can try using less next time. If you are using sequestrant regularly, getting a sequestrant test kit is recommended.

I called Jack, aka, Mr. Majic. He says to use 3 quarts of Jack's Blue stuff. He says that since I know my copper source, a dose of this will fix things. Doesn't even think I will need to add anymore later as long as I don't use pond water to top off, which we don't. He told me that even one penny added to a 20000 pool will add enough copper to see some green hair. Good thing this pool cost us every last penny :lol:

I added the sequestrant to the pool and I'm getting ready to do a treatment to remove all the green from our hair. BUT, we have plans to swim in my brothers pond this weekend. Can the algaecide alone in his pond turn our hair green, or does it have to react with chlorine to make green hair?

I think it is the chemical reaction mixing copper and bleach that makes the green menace occur. Usually folks say they filled up the pool and it didn't turn green until after they added bleach when it turned out they had copper in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please excuse the intrusion on you thread... :oops:
Any luck getting the green out of your hair? If so, what products did you use? We were going to try nexxus aloe rid, as soon as the delivery guy can get it here!
Thank you!

I have been using a product by Ion called Swimmer's clarifying treatment. It is a little blue packet with a powder that you mix with water. I buy it at Sally's Beauty Supply for $2.99 per packet. It does get all the green out, but if you have copper in your pool, the green will come back next time you swim.

I also bought Ion Swimmer's leave in Conditioner. Supposed to spray hair before and after swimming. Say's it prevents swimmer's green.

I was going to try the nexus, but really wanted to solve the copper water problem instead of fighting a losing battle with the hair products.

I treated my pool water with Jack's blue stuff and plan to backwash the filter tonight. Hoping it does the trick. Jack's says as long as we don't re-introduce water with copper that we won't have to treat it again. Here's to hoping!

Thank you for the info on the hair products! we will give those a try. It makes sense to either remove or sequester copper before fixing the hair issue, but I'm still trying to sort out if I have copper in my pool or not. My daughter has one faint green streak in her hair, the rest of us are fine. She has been in other pools, so it could be from somewhere else. Ours has tested 0 for copper by the pool store and by the Taylor high copper test kit. Still waiting for the low copper test to come in the mail.

I'm glad you have your pool all figured out. Happy swimming!

my daughter started with a faint green strip down the back too. I freaked out and put the clarifier in her hair to remove it. It removed it, but opened the hair shafts. She swam the same evening and now she has shrek hair. I'm not too worried because I know how to remove it. it is just annoying to have to deal with it. I just make her wear green clothes...never white!

I got the jacks from Amazon. Jack's recommends that you use their filter fiber. It is advertised as an alternative to DE, but works the same. I bought the filter fiber through Amazon from a place called Leisure Living. Just go to Jacksmagic.com They have the products listed and a phone number to call. I called and they told me exactly what to buy, how much to buy and who has a good price. Also, I have called three times and an actual real life PERSON answered on the second ring! Fantastic customer service...almost as good as this web site! :wink:

I finally purchased a copper test and the result is .15 ppm. I did the jacks filter fiber and the pink stuff according to directions. We are still getting green hair. Is this considered high copper? Does anyone know if walmart sells a good sequestrant to rid my pool of copper. No one near me sells jacks so the shipping cost is very expensive.

Walmart often carries HTH sequestrant, which is said to be quite good.

Copper at 0.15 is not considered all that high. That level is enough to stain fiberglass and color hair, but not enough to stain plaster or vinyl pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.