Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new filter setup what do you think

1. Back To Top    #1

new filter setup what do you think

I had a 75lb filter that was just not cutting it. I got a new 300lb sand filter and am using the same 1.5 hp Hayward power flow lx pump. I had a 3/4 eyeball and a running psi of about 9-10 psi. I changed to a 1 inch to lower jet pressure and not have a 5-7 running psi. Is that too low? Also does anyone know the flow rate of that pump. I saw somewhere that it was 62 gpm if that is true I am estimating that I am turning over my water in less than 4 hours. Any suggestions would be good. thanks
    I have two valves one in the suction line and one in the return line I also have unions I can take every pipe inside over the winter.

I don't know why I put this up

I am going to run a water line from the house with a valve by the pool so when I need water it is just the flip of a valve. No more dragging out the hose!

Just some shots of the pool
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new filter setup what do you think

I'm not a fan of that flexible hosing used on the suction side. I recently re-plumbed a pool that had it because it would collapse under pressure and partially starve the pump
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm not a fan of that flexible hosing used on the suction side.
    I completely agree.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That was the only way I had to do it. The skimmer has a molded on hose fitting. Is there any other way except replacing the skimmer? Also the two hose fittings are touching each other. So there should not be too much pressure on the hose right?
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

a rubber coupling at lowes might be better. But if you are not collapsing the pipe I think you are safe.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes if you lower the head loss on the return too much, it can create high suction which can draw air into the pump basket. As long as you aren't seeing any air in the pump basket, it is probably OK although it might make the flex line more vulnerable to collapse.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing I have a 1 inch eyeball and get a cyclone in my skimmer. I just cut a short pipe and put it in the skimmer basket and don't have the cyclone anymore. It also did the same with the 3/4 eyeball I just went to a bigger eyeball to lower the filter pressure.

8. Back To Top    #8

A vortex in the skimmer can sometimes suck in air so you will need to be careful about that.

But with the 1" eyeball, I would say the pump is probably operating very close to the filter flow rate limit. Ideally, you want below 45 GPM for better filtering which I am pretty sure the pump is operating above. With your setup, I would use the 3/4" eyeball.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater