How do I get rid of my green pool??

Jun 27, 2012
I have a 4440 gallon intex pool. It has become FULL of algae. The color is so thick. I got this way by the wind pulling off the pool cover and we were out of town for 10 days with the pump unplugged.

How can I make my pool clear again?? Do I have to just dump it out, clean it and refill?? The water has gone higher so I REALLY just want to make that a last resort.

cleaning it up is going to take an unknown amount of chlorine along with scrubbing and filtering. It's hard to say how much chlorine - but if it's really just been a couple weeks chlorine may be cheaper.

Any estimate on how much it would cost to refill?

lightingguy said:
cleaning it up is going to take an unknown amount of chlorine along with scrubbing and filtering. It's hard to say how much chlorine - but if it's really just been a couple weeks chlorine may be cheaper.

Any estimate on how much it would cost to refill?

Not really. My bill doesn't show up how much I spend per gallon or anything. And they don't have a website. I will proly try and see if I can wait it out, see how much my bill is a just refill. It's pretty bad looking.

But thank you.

Your bill probably lists something like HCF or CF to describe how much water you use.

There are 748 gallons in 1 HCF (One Hundred Cubic Feet) so to fill up your pool will cost roughly 6 HCF.

If you pay anything less than $4 per HCF (quite likely) it's probably just cheaper to drain it.

If you want to clean it up with chlorine - the longer you wait the more chlorine you'll need.

Some water districts do not have meter on the the house. If so, you can use all the water you want for one fixed fee. They normally charge based on the acreage of the lot. if you own a big lot, they charge more, little lot... less. You can call the water district office and ask. If you are fixed price, I would water the grass with your pool water and start over.

The first thing I'd do is call and find out how much the water will cost you. If it's less than 50$ it's a no brainer. Dump it, scrub it with a bleach/watermix and refill it.

While you're doing that order you a TF-50 form tftestkits. That way when you get the new water you'll be ready to start taking care of it the right way, right off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.