Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Ta dropping & fun time at pool store

Ta dropping & fun time at pool store

Numbers first:

FC 3
    TC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CYA 38
    CH 230
    Pool looks great!!!

Good and the bad. Let's start with the good. I went to my local pool store to pick up some Muriatic Acid and let them test my water to get a comparison on my test. I can't say when I had more fun thanks to you guys and the BBB Method. The lady in front of me struck up a conversation and commented how every time she comes in here her pool needs something. The pool store guy did her test and told her how it wasn't too bad as she paid her $175 for PhosFree and other chemicals she probably didn't need. She watched as he did mine and I asked him not to bother with the phosphates part of the test. I paid my $12 bucks for two gallons of acid and she said "How come..." All I could say was I try to stay on top of it. I didn't want to get in to it with the pool store guy so I left it alone even though I wanted to tell her about this site and the BBB Method. I exited with a smile on my face, thinking if it wasn't for my new plaster I wouldn't have even have bought the acid. Now the bad. Due to the fact that I'm using a lot of acid my TA has dropped to 70. The pool guy naturally said I should add about 3 lbs of Alkalinity Up to try to get the TA up to 100. I told him I had some at home but I was wondering if I'm OK at 70 since the TA seems to keep dropping with all the Muriatic acid I keep adding every few days. What would be a good number to shoot for and should I start adding Baking Powder now or wait till it drops below 70.

Thanks in advance
    Eddie
    15K gal, IG Plaster, FNS 36 DE Filter, 1 1/2 Flotec

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Ta dropping & fun time at pool store

How are you chlorinating your pool?
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    How are you chlorinating your pool?
    BBB Method. I use 6% bleach that I purchase from Sams. 128 oz bottles, Use pool calculator to determine daily amount that I put in after sunset.

Baking Soda, not Powder. There is a difference.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

Senior Member In the Industry

70-90 is suggested in Pool School for a pool chlorinated with bleach. I would leave it alone if it were my pool and check it from time to time.

I am quite sure this is just a slip in word choice but, if you decide to adjust it upward do not use baking powder....use baking soda.

(You haven't been two-timing us by spending time on the Betty Crocker forum, have you? )
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    Baking Soda, not Powder. There is a difference.
    Typo... Thanks for setting me straight on that. I really new that but I was having so much fun I missed it.