CYA level and SWG

Aug 20, 2011
I have an SWG and an outdoor pool with full sun along the whole day, usual temperture range is in the 90's
The recommended CYA level in the SWG manual is 40 ppm.
I read here that the recommended level is 70 ppm.
Can someone shed some more light on this topic?
Thanks,
Avi.

Higher CYA levels better protect the low levels of FC generated by the SWG from the sun.

More info is available in pool school articles.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

My Intex SWG lists lower than recommended CYA also. I went with 50ppm's, my unit has no issues keeping the FC at a constant by running 4 hours a day in my 18'x33' pool. 3.5 hours would be optimal but it only does 1 hour increments. My pool is almost always covered so that also helps keep it up too. I just test a few times a week and adjust the time up or down as needed.

The main reason, as I understand it, for the higher recommended CYA levels on this forum is to reduce pH rise. Having more CYA means you can reduce run times on the SWG, and by reducing the associated aeration (as the water flows through the cell) it helps contain pH rise.

I haven't kept my CYA at 70 this year either and am keeping up with the chlorine demand w/5-6 hours a day. I tend to keep my chlorine on the higher side of normal too. You can try to run at a lower level and see how much you are running your swg and go from there. You can always add more cya, but removing it... what a pain!

sorry... probably not 'run time' speaking technically because run time is more determined by filtration needs. I mean chlorine output percentage on the SWG which determines the time the SWG is generating chlorine. More CYA means less chlorine loss an less chlorine demand.

Like suziqzer says, I'm actually running at about 50ppm CYA and only running the SWG 4 hours a day on the lowest pump flow an the lowest SWG output and everything is perfect. It winter here and the small pool is getting no use, but the point is you don't HAVE to have 70ppm... just monitor things and adjust accordingly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.