Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level and SWG

I have an SWG and an outdoor pool with full sun along the whole day, usual temperture range is in the 90's
    The recommended CYA level in the SWG manual is 40 ppm.
    I read here that the recommended level is 70 ppm.
    Can someone shed some more light on this topic?
    Thanks,
    Avi.
    Intex round metal frame 15' x 42"
    Intex SWG / 2000 gph cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Outdoor pool with full sun all day long
    Typical temperture range in the 90's

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA level and SWG

Higher CYA levels better protect the low levels of FC generated by the SWG from the sun.

More info is available in pool school articles.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My Intex SWG lists lower than recommended CYA also. I went with 50ppm's, my unit has no issues keeping the FC at a constant by running 4 hours a day in my 18'x33' pool. 3.5 hours would be optimal but it only does 1 hour increments. My pool is almost always covered so that also helps keep it up too. I just test a few times a week and adjust the time up or down as needed.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA level and SWG

The main reason, as I understand it, for the higher recommended CYA levels on this forum is to reduce pH rise. Having more CYA means you can reduce run times on the SWG, and by reducing the associated aeration (as the water flows through the cell) it helps contain pH rise.
    37000 litre, concrete, pebble, Viron P300 pump, Hurlcon VX7T SWCG, Viron CL-400 Cartridge filter, Solar heating, Pandora Smart Robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't kept my CYA at 70 this year either and am keeping up with the chlorine demand w/5-6 hours a day. I tend to keep my chlorine on the higher side of normal too. You can try to run at a lower level and see how much you are running your swg and go from there. You can always add more cya, but removing it... what a pain!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA level and SWG

sorry... probably not 'run time' speaking technically because run time is more determined by filtration needs. I mean chlorine output percentage on the SWG which determines the time the SWG is generating chlorine. More CYA means less chlorine loss an less chlorine demand.
    37000 litre, concrete, pebble, Viron P300 pump, Hurlcon VX7T SWCG, Viron CL-400 Cartridge filter, Solar heating, Pandora Smart Robotic cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA level and SWG

Like suziqzer says, I'm actually running at about 50ppm CYA and only running the SWG 4 hours a day on the lowest pump flow an the lowest SWG output and everything is perfect. It winter here and the small pool is getting no use, but the point is you don't HAVE to have 70ppm... just monitor things and adjust accordingly

8. Back To Top    #8

The lower your CYA level, the shorter the cell lifetime will be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The lower your CYA level, the shorter the cell lifetime will be.
    Intex says a lower number, maybe so it won't last as long...I don't know. It's cheap enough to replace it after a few years. These little guys are on or off, no percentages here.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)