Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy water in SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water in SWG pool

Hello Guys
    I have my SWG setup for about a month right now. At the beginning the water was clear but now it slowly start to get cloudy. I have never work with the pool chemicals except the chlorine.
    Two days ago I've ordered the TF-100 kit. And last night I added some stabilizer (CYA) to the pool. I did use a method that somebody described here. I put 1.6lbs of stabilizer into the sox and put it in the filter skimmer. But the weird thing is that it dissolves after 4 hours of running and some guys said it will take days.
    Also I've read the Water Balance for SWGs tutorial from "Pool school" and have a question. When the kit arrives I should adjust the chemicals in the order the tutorial says or differently?
    My setup is Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water in SWG pool

Once you get the kit and run the tests you can adjust the levels according to the article.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you'll have to shock, without the kit it's tough to keep the levels right with SWG. Once you get a system down though they are great. Post your numbers when you get the kit.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay guys. First of all I'm very surprised that the kit arrives in 2 days.
    Here is my results:
    FC - 0.5 or below
    pH - 7.2
    TA - it was about 40 drops = 400
    CH (vinyl pool) - about 40 drops = 400
    CYA - about 20

Now its time to read the whole article. Unless somebody can help me
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

5. Back To Top    #5

Also should I do the test with filter and SWG running?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

How many gallons is the pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, and please add 7600 gallons to your sig for info.

Well, you need to follow the directions in Pool School for how to shock your pool: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You will need bleach/liquid chlorine to shock. Shock level with CYA of 20 will be FC of 10ish.

I suggest that you turn the SWG off until you are completely done shocking.

After you are done shocking, you will need to raise the CYA level.

Post back here if you have any questions.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

How about the CC level? This should help you with your next steps: pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    Mike

10. Back To Top    #10

Can I use the shock powder from homedepot?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

11. Back To Top    #11

That depends. If it is cal-hypo, it will add CH, and your CH level is already as high as you should let it go. But if it is dichlor, then using some might be convenient, as it will add CYA which you need. But don't use too much or CYA will go too high and CYA is difficult to lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I added one 1lb bag of this shock: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

13. Back To Top    #13

That's dichlor it adds 9ppm CYA for every 10 ppm FC you add.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

So how much should I add? I'm really sorry for all that questions but I really don't know nothing about the chemicals
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

15. Back To Top    #15

Your last test result said 20 CYA, if you only put one bag of dichlor then your CYA is now around 29 per Bama's info. You can keep adding it but that means your shock level needs to rise as your CYA rises. You are ok to do this but you don't want to go any higher than 70 on the CYA. This is why it's best to use regular bleach only in the pool for shocking unless you know you need more CYA and know what the new shock level will be. The poolcalculator and your test kit should be your best friends during this process.
    Mike

16. Back To Top    #16

So it looks like I need to go shopping
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

17. Back To Top    #17

Okay. So it looks like I need to shock the pool. But... when I enter the results in pool calculator it tells me to replace 35% of my pool water to lower CH. So should I first shock the pool with bleach or replace the 35%?? Also is it necessary to replace the water?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    How about the CC level? This should help you with your next steps: pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    I did not check the CC level. Will do it today.
    Is it okay to do the test when its about 100F outside? Or should I wait till the sun go down?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

19. Back To Top    #19

The only reason the PC is telling you to lower the CH is that you have the target set to a lower number than the CH result. 400 is a little high but not too high.

Is your TA really 400. That's extremely high, and it's odd that it matched the CH.

I'd run the tests again today (it doesn't matter if it's 100º) and post the full set of results.
    Also test your fill water for;
    pH
    FC
    TA
    CH

That'll tell us if there's any need to drain because of CH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

I will retest it today. I don't remember which test it is but the one that I need to add drops until the solution turn red (this is when I put in 40 drops). I remember that the solution turn pink but I was keep going until it turn solid red.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast