Hi ! Im new here and got a question about the SWG

Jun 27, 2012
connecticut
Hi Guys !

I'm putting an "all-resin" above ground pool in 24ft round and the question is: can I go with the SWG ? my pool store strongly discouraged me from doing that by telling me that it will corrode quickly and Im gonna be voiding warranty.

Do you guys have any experience with using a SWG with above ground pools ? I think all of the parts are resin except for the walls (steel with protective finish) Will that really eat my pool ?

Also I have A child has little allergy to chlorine (red spots on the skin after taking a bath, I had to put a active carbon filter between the showerhead and plumbing to solve the problem) and the lady at the store told me that they started installing the Pool Frog mineral chlorinator and the problems with their allergies are gone. Anyone had used those ? supposenly you can keep the chlorine at 0.5ppm and still be safe.

(I read the pool school articles as well and learnt a lot )

Thank you.

As far as the swcg goes, contact the pool mfg. and ask them if adding one voids the warranty.

Also I'm sure you realize that a swg pool is a chlorine pool.

Search hear for pool frog and you'll see some of the issues it has caused.

Going to the manufacturer is a good idea. I have an Intex SWG (bargain priced unit) and the only side affects is some metal corrosion from the salt. Nothing that would make me switch back to liquid bleach though. My concern would be for your son, although everything I've read is that skin irritation isn't usually from chlorine but from other issues with the water. How is he if he swims in someone else's pool that has chlorine? If he truly cannot go in a chlorine pool then to me that would be a deal breaker in getting a pool. The chlorine actually helps my son's eczema.

Bama Rambler said:
The pool frog mineral pak contains silver and copper. Both will stain your pool. The bac-pak is just trichlor and we all know the downside of that.

So you are saying the frog stuff will stain your pool, stain your blonde hair and uses chlorine (trichlor) with a CYA stabilizer that makes it hard to manage your pool long term?

Not much help for the chlorine allergy we were discussing.

This is a job for chem geek. We need to hook up some sort of bat signal for him. :wave: :-D

From reading (not necessarily comprehending) his posts on the CYA relationship to Chlorine--would I be wildly wrong to assume that in a properly maintained (BBB) pool, irritation from Chlorine could be less or non-existent in that pool than in tap water?

If it could, than it would be especially so in an SWG pool? Also, could one type of municipal water purification method be more irritating to sensitive types than another?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
There are several that will work on that size pool. You want to get one that's rated for a pool 1½ to 3 times the actual size of your pool.

The Compupool CPSC-36 would be a good size.

The manufacturer states that it is not for above ground pools, do you think that I can still use it regardless ?

MikeInNH said:
Going to the manufacturer is a good idea. I have an Intex SWG (bargain priced unit) and the only side affects is some metal corrosion from the salt. Nothing that would make me switch back to liquid bleach though. My concern would be for your son, although everything I've read is that skin irritation isn't usually from chlorine but from other issues with the water. How is he if he swims in someone else's pool that has chlorine? If he truly cannot go in a chlorine pool then to me that would be a deal breaker in getting a pool. The chlorine actually helps my son's eczema.

He actually never been to a pool before :)

MikeInNH said:
veetek20 said:
He actually never been to a pool before :)
May be worth bringing him to a public pool to see how it works out with him. If his skin is ok in one of those then your pool will be much easier on his skin. A hotel pool is another option, they'll usually let you use them for a few bucks.

I was going to recommend this also but they will use very different chemicals in commercial pools. I am going to make a few assumptions... dangerous... I know.

A "public pool" in my mind, is likely to use chlorine gas and other chemicals to maintain the pool. Also, I am going assume they have technicians visit the pool more often than once per week. I used to notice them testing the pool water I swam in during the business day.

A hotel pool is another thing all together and I don't assume they have a "technician" looking at it every day. I assume they are like a home pool and they are part of a service company's service route. It may not be once a week but they are certainly not on-site like in a public pool. I hear most BBB'ers will not place a toe in a hotel pool.

I would be great if another BBB'er were close and could let your son try their pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.