Replacing plunger valves on Intex Easy Set

May 24, 2011
North Central Texas
We know one of our plunger valves has a problem because when you shut them to change the filter, the water flow never stops. It is certainly much less than fully open, though. Thought we could get by with it this year as we have gotten pretty quick at swapping out filters and not much water is lost. However, flow rate has now decreased some and swapping out filters does not increase it. I am wondering if one of the valves isn't quite opening up all the way or some other problem. So, since we have two problems, I decided to go ahead and order new valves.

Any suggestions on how to swap them out without draining the pool below their level? I thought I saw mention of someone using a bowl someway, but I couldn't find the thread.

I replaced the return valve (higher one) by just being prepared (and quick!). It's a good one to practice on because there is less pressure on the higher valve. I did it because my new valves with my replacement pump (2500gph) did not have the plastic debris screen over it, I needed an aerator.

steinholder said:
I replaced the return valve (higher one) by just being prepared (and quick!). It's a good one to practice on because there is less pressure on the higher valve. I did it because my new valves with my replacement pump (2500gph) did not have the plastic debris screen over it, I needed an aerator.

Thanks for the hint!

I suppose if you didn't have a need to replace the inside piece, you could try a soft rimmed bowl and hold onto the thread outside (retaining the inside piece). I did see how this could be possible, but i needed to replace both inside and outside.

Good Luck!

aa62579 said:
steinholder said:

Thanks for the hint!

I have to replace both of mine. I was wondering if I couldn't first remove the inside retaining ring, place a plastic disk or piece of plastic, cut to fit and replace ring on both intake and outflow. Then wouldn't I be able to remove the outside assembly and replace it without losing much water? I don't have the new ones yet, but I was just thinking about the problem that was presented with changing them out. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.