Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: patching 3/8" hole in 2" PVC pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

patching 3/8" hole in 2" PVC pipe

By mistake to placed the water temperature sensor in the wrong pipe in my pool system. No I need to patch the 3/8" hole in the pressure return pipe. Anyone have any idea beside cutting and putting on a coupling? I was hoping of getting some thing I can use with a pipe clamp.
    In the pool business and finally succumbed to building a pool....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: patching 3/8" hole in 2" PVC pipe

How about cutting a coupling in half, gluing, then clamping.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

How about installing a flowmeter in the hole?

Otherwise I'd cut it and install a coupler or a Tee with a hose bib on it. That makes it easy to drain or to hook up an aerator sometime in the future.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd just thread it and put a threaded plug in it. In fact that's what I did!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    How about cutting a coupling in half, gluing, then clamping.
    That's one of the options I envisioned doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd just thread it and put a threaded plug in it. In fact that's what I did!
    Can you elaborate what tools I'll need and what plug? It's a 3/8" hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    How about installing a flowmeter in the hole?

Otherwise I'd cut it and install a coupler or a Tee with a hose bib on it. That makes it easy to drain or to hook up an aerator sometime in the future.
    flowmeter. That's also a great idea. Does it fit a 3/8" hole or do I also need another hole.
    In the pool business and finally succumbed to building a pool....

6. Back To Top    #6

in threading all you need is a tap and die set for a 3/8" or larger hole and find a plug with the same thread. Same with the flowmeter find out what thread it has and then tap for that thread. When you plug it, use some plumber's tape prior to plugging.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The flowmeters I've looked at either need a 5/8" hole or a 3/4" hole to mount through. So you'd have to drill the 3/8" hole out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use a PVC saddle tee, or the first suggestion of taking a coupler and cutting it in half and using it as a patch over the hole.

The tee outlet of the saddle tee can be centered over the hole, the saddle is then glued and clamped to the surrounding PVC pipe. Then just put a PVC plug in the tee outlet and you'll be all set.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell