Problem vacuuming to waste?

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
Finally got a chance, though only about 30 minutes before dark, to vacuum the pool. Since we had a storm recently and I had the yard mowed, the bottom was pretty dirty. I set it up to vacuum to waste, or I thought I did, but it didn't seem to work, and I was just stirring the dirt up. I put it back on filter and it worked fine.

Two questions came from this. I can't seem to find a top down picture of the multi-port valve on the S244T that I have, even the manual doesn't show it. The writing on the top ring is worn down so I'm not sure what all the positons are. Does anyone have one?

Also, later last night while looking for a picture, I read something about if you have an in-line chorinator, you need to shut it off prior to vacuuming. I didn't even know there was a valve on it (there is) so I didn't turn it off. Did I do any harm by not turning it off before I vacuumed the pool?

Re: ? about vacuuming to waste with a sand filter.

OK, so if I put it to waste, and connect the hose to the skimmer, it should vacuum to waste, right? It didn't seem to work yesterday. Once I put it on filter, it did fine. I'll play with it some more tonight if I get the opportunity. Still unpacking from the move and cleaning the old house.

OH NO, Valve not working!

Topics merged for continuity. Bama

In a recent post I was concerned about my system seeming to not vacuum to waste and now I think I know why. When I got home yesterday, the very windy day filled the pool with leaves and the skimmer was packed. I cleaned it out and shut the pump off to clean out the pump basket. I turned it back on and started vacuuming through the filter. It was getting dark so I stopped for the evening, and after I disconnected the hose, I noticed that the circulation had stopped! The pump was running but no water movement. By the time I walked to the pump, it started up again. Then stopped. I shut off the pump did a 360 on the handle and started it again. Nothing. I jiggled and tapped the top and it started for a few minutes then stopped. It was too dark to see much of anything by this time. I left the pump running, and I got up once during the night and it was circulating again, but off this morning. I just shut the pump off and came to work.

Do I need a whole new multi-port valve or can this one be repaired? I'm pretty handy at fixing things, having been an aircraft mechanic for 21 years in the Air Force, but I'm short on time. What do you think I should do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is getting fustrating. I replaced the Key assembly and handle. The old one was very hard to turn, the handle would not spring back when pushed down, and it was all sun-faded to the point I thought it was going to crack. The new one turns easliy and the handle pops back up when you let go.

That being said, it didn't fix the problem. When I put the handle in the filter position, and turn the pump on, water starts to flow in the filter box at the pump. After 30 seconds to a minute, the jets start to bubble and blow air for a good minute or so, then the flow at the outlests will be steady for a minute, and the suction seems normal at the returns. Then it will just slow down and nothing happens. No flow anywhere. All the time the pump is running with no change in the tone. It might start up on its own a few mintutes later doing the same process.

Part of me wants to say that it's either getting air in the system, or the impeller is slipping on the shaft, but I don't see any leaks, I checked the seal on the pump fliter basket top, and there's no water leaking anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited to say do you think that it might be the seal around the pump filter box lid? I remember that Saturday I was cleaning leaves out of it and the seal came off the lid when I opened it, and I had to put it back on. When the water is flowing though it when it seems to be working, the water is sloshing all around the inside of it like a washing machine.

You're getting air in the system somewhere. The pump strainer basket lid seal is a very common place to have an air leak. Clean and lube it well and if it's cracked or deformed, replace it. If that doesn't fix it you should;
1. Remove and reseal the drain plugs.
2. Make sure the skimmer weir is operating freely.
3. Make sure the water level is high enough to prevent the skimmer from creating a vortex.

If that's not the problem then run water over the pump basket and suction plumbing while it's running and see if that helps.

FIXED IT! I had a friend that's also a long-time pool owner come over and give me a hand. Seems that the problem was that the pump lost it's prime. It took a LOT of water to back fill all the plumbing before we got the pump to start pulling water, but once we did, I've got lots of suction now.

Being an idea person, it occured to me that what is needed is a t off of the intake line before the pump strainer, a shut-off valve and a water line connection. Then you could close the filter, open the new water intake valve and add water in the pipes until full, shut the valve off, and start the pump.

Now that I thought of it, the way my luck runs, someone else has already thought of it, and has it on the market.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.