Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oops?

nabril15

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2011
Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
good morning
My old Dynamax 2.2hp pump came to the end of its life, and I replaced it with a ridiculously quiet Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump.
The previous owner had a 2.2hp pump because the pool has "spa" jets and a water feature (3 spigots coming out of a planter). After much deliberation, I decided to come down in HP to 1.5 thinking it will be enough; I dont use the supposed spa jets, and the features comes on rarely.

With my valves opened around 90% for vacuum and 10% for skimmer, I noticed that the Navigator vacuum doesnt climb walls and goes rather slowly. I shut off the skimmer valve, and the vacuum now flies through the pool.

While I can certainly clean the top of the pool by hand, I realize that having the skimmer clean is important. Did I screw up bigtime by coming down to 1.5hp? Or do I need to perhaps let the pump get used to its new workload or something?

Btw, the pump is 1.5 with SF of 1.0.

Thanks

Re: Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oo

The Navigator has an optional regulator valve. If you have the regulator valve installed it can be adjusted to compensate for the different flow rate from the new pump.

Re: Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oo

thank you Jason. I should specify that I have an old Navigator, not the new, big, fancy one. Therefore, I doubt I have the regulator valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.