Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oops?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oops?

good morning
    My old Dynamax 2.2hp pump came to the end of its life, and I replaced it with a ridiculously quiet Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump.
    The previous owner had a 2.2hp pump because the pool has "spa" jets and a water feature (3 spigots coming out of a planter). After much deliberation, I decided to come down in HP to 1.5 thinking it will be enough; I dont use the supposed spa jets, and the features comes on rarely.

With my valves opened around 90% for vacuum and 10% for skimmer, I noticed that the Navigator vacuum doesnt climb walls and goes rather slowly. I shut off the skimmer valve, and the vacuum now flies through the pool.

While I can certainly clean the top of the pool by hand, I realize that having the skimmer clean is important. Did I screw up bigtime by coming down to 1.5hp? Or do I need to perhaps let the pump get used to its new workload or something?

Btw, the pump is 1.5 with SF of 1.0.

Thanks
    16,900 gallon inground pool (16x30 with spa bench)
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    Diamondbrite surface, redone in 2017.
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Navigator Pro suction cleaner with V-flex kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oo

The Navigator has an optional regulator valve. If you have the regulator valve installed it can be adjusted to compensate for the different flow rate from the new pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just replaced pump, but my Navigator doesnt climb.....Oo

thank you Jason. I should specify that I have an old Navigator, not the new, big, fancy one. Therefore, I doubt I have the regulator valve.
    16,900 gallon inground pool (16x30 with spa bench)
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    Diamondbrite surface, redone in 2017.
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Navigator Pro suction cleaner with V-flex kit