Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie----how do I know when alagae is gone and I can let FC

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie----how do I know when alagae is gone and I can let FC

I posted on this site last week and thanks for all the help I received in getting my shocking process correct. I think I am almost there as the pool is clearing up, still a little cloudy, but can pretty cleary see bottom drain at 8'. My info and questions are as follows

- my FC is at 12
    - my cc is at 0
    - my cya is at 50-60
    - my over night FC (oclt) did not drop more than .5

- Is the little bit of green I am seeing on my filter dead algae?
    - should I soak my filter as per the commets in the filter section or will the high levels of FC and my everyday filter cleaning do the job?
    - when do I stop the shocking and filter cleaning process
    pool was built in 5/11, in ground 37,000 gallon concrete/plaster pebble sheen finish. STA-RITE system 3 Cartridge filter 400sqft filtration area, .288 gpm/sqft, 115 gpm flow rate. also has a Nature 2 mineral sanitizer and a 1hp sta-rite pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: newbie----how do I know when alagae is gone and I can le

Stop shocking when three things occur at the same time.

pass OCLT
    Water clear
    CC .5 or less
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: newbie----how do I know when alagae is gone and I can le

Keep it up - you're sooooo close! Shock level for 60 CYA is 18, get FC up there for another day at least.

There is in inverse relationship to this - the last little bit takes a lot longer than the first huge changes. Toss any pool toys or tools in the pool while you're at shock level. Scrub the less obvious places, like inside the skimmer, maybe pop the light out and clean the niche behind it.

Really, you're almost done, don't slack off and coast. Consider that the last bits of green you have are the hardier strains of algae; they've survived how many days of mega-chlorine?

You'll know when you passed "the water is clear" part. It will be clearer than you ever thought possible. And once you're there, it's simple to keep it that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!