Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what filter should I get

1. Back To Top    #1

what filter should I get

I have a 24` by 52" above ground pool.
    with an aquaflow 1HP pump
    currently I have a small sand filter wich I got from craigslist a few years ago for $50 but the 4 way valve is starting to leak and it does not seem to filter good enough. I have high Iron in my water. I am debating getting a DE filter will that be beneficial for high Iron? or would a cartidge be better? I do not have alot of money and will be saving over the winter months. so it will be for next year.
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what filter should I get

The choice between sand/cartridge/DE is mostly a question of personal preference. None of them are significantly different in any way that relates to iron.

I recommend you get the largest filter you have room for an can afford. Larger filters are slightly more efficient and can go longer between cleaning/backwashing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not to hijack this thread, but when you say get a larger filter, could you give a few examples?

I will have a very similarly sized pool soon and I would like to request the appropriate filter before I get the pool installed, Thanks!
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

4. Back To Top    #4

At work at the moment, but the original filter held 5 bags of sand. the one I have now take 100 lbs (2 bags).
    I really do not have a preference I dont think I want a cartridge filter, so I would be between DE or sand personaly sand is a more cheaper filter but is the performance better in a DE? I want a clear pool. and no I dont have taylor kit I cant find them in Canada.
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

5. Back To Top    #5

I was quoted a 1090 Hayward skimmer with a EC-40 Filter system Automatic Chlorinator with 3' hose fitting. Sound ok for a 24' x 54" Pool?
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

6. Back To Top    #6

The skimmer is fine, though I'd make sure it's the WM (wide mouth) model. However, that filter isn't nearly big enough. If you want the EC I'd go for at least the EC-75.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Well it would be an additional $400 for the EC-65, $444 for the EC-75. Is that really necessary? I'm on a budget and the wife will blow a gasket if I tel her we need to drop $400 more for a different filter. So I guess I'm asking, will the EC-40 be ok for a little while?

Also, I will have an automatic Chlorinator, if I plan on doing the BBB method (which I am just trying to read about), will I still use the Chlorinator? <---I hope that is not a stupid question, lol

8. Back To Top    #8

Any other advice?

9. Back To Top    #9

You could go with a sand filter and 2-speed pump combo.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a 24 round 48" deep with a 1.5 hp Hayward power flow lx pump and a 300lb sand filter I went up from a 75lb filter. People tell me it is a bit overboard but seems to work very well. I can turn over my pool in less then 4 hours and I run it 2 times a day for 4 hours each time and my pool is very clear.
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

11. Back To Top    #11

what filter should I get

I have the EC50 perflex with the matched LX 1.5 hp pump and all i need to run is a couple hours and my 10,000 gallon are crystal clear. de is great when the water is clean and clear. If you get a swamp, be prepared for serious bumping and changing. This is also an issue with carts and sand but the DE is so efficient, when there is a lot to clean, it will rise 10 psi in less than 30 minutes with a dity DE charge. While this sounds like a "problem" that if you have a large bloom, you will need to babysit the filter for a day, but at the end of that day ( or the day after at worst) you will have a clean pool and not need to filter 24/7 for a week to maybe see a difference.

Tne ability to bump the DE seems to unique and a huge benefit. someone may know of other "bump able" DE systems. I will admit, my filtering knowledge is based on my fights with Intex cartridges and the EC50. That said, I love the sparkly pool I have. Thanks TFP and thanks to Backyard Pools and their excellent LPS support.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the quick replies. Even though a lot of this is like learning a foreign language I am hoping once I have the pool and start applying it I will better understand it. Like "Bumping" and "back washing", lol

I will post my final details once I am set up and able to test my water and then learn from there.

13. Back To Top    #13

What pump did you endup with?
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

14. Back To Top    #14

EC-40. I'm thinking hard about the liquidator! I will have an auto chlorinator.

15. Back To Top    #15

I want a liquidator as well. Just dont know if it will work the way I have my pump setup

16. Back To Top    #16

I Have a sand filter now and have been fighting my pool for 2 years due to poor education about pool maintenance. I am considering upgrading to a DE filter next year, this is about a $1000 investment. I have a 18' x 36' in-ground pool.
    18K Above Ground Salt Water, Sta-Rite Cristal Flo Sand Filter with Sta-Rite 1.5HP pump. Aqua-Trol SWCG, Wanda whale vaccuum

17. Back To Top    #17

A poor education about pool maintenance will not be rectified by upgrading to a DE filter. A sand filter is quite capable of keeping a pool clean. If you're fighting your pool with a sand filter, you will be fighting it with a DE filter as well.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ptaemt911
    I Have a sand filter now and have been fighting my pool for 2 years due to poor education about pool maintenance. I am considering upgrading to a DE filter next year, this is about a $1000 investment. I have a 18' x 36' in-ground pool.
    I have a DE and my only experience with a filter cartridge was with my spa and my Intex Cartridge A filter with my EasySet (easyAlgae) pool. A DE filter will filter out more debris, faster than a sand filter and many cartridges. That being said, my Perflex filter, which allows bumping to extend media (DE) changes, is a double edged sword. I read so often that the recommendation is to add X, keep your CL up to Y and run your pump 24/7 for a week to solve a green pool bloom.

The "problem" with that logic for my DE system. I have never been able to run my pump for more then a couple hours (2-4) if I have a significant amount of visible debris in the water. The filter pressure will rise (25-50%) and I need to bump. I continue to bump until I get to a point where the filter will run less than an hour before the pressures rise too much and the flow is severely restricted. If I hand Vacuum a dirty floor, I can plug the filter in less than 10 minutes. If I run my Aquabug, she might make an hour if the pool is dirty.

The other side of the sword, the "benefit" of my DE. If I brush the walls and hand vacuum the floor (bumping when needed) I can remove 100% of the debris in the amount of time it takes me to do these tasks. When I am finished doing the above tasks, I am likely to have a clear pool with a little floating debris that I can remove with a 2-hour run time. If it's bad, I might need to change my DE (or cellulose like now) and that takes me 30-45 minutes after doing the vacuum and brush with a dirty pool. I don't really have a backwash system. i physically remove my entire filter from my pump and i just dump my old DE in the green waste garbage can. I use a garden hose to clean the fingers on our front lawn. I just rinse away the extra DE in the lawn. Cellulose is easier to get rid of.

When I have a clean filter, I can normally have a clear pool without floating debris with a 2-4 hour daily run time. My pressures might rise from 14 to 16 in that time and then I bump and it's ready for the next day.

Bottom line, DE will do a faster job than a sand filter but if you get a big bloom, plan on dedicating some time watching your pressures to get your water clear. I can normally do this babysitting of the filter while I am in the back yard doing other gardening duties (weeding, kid-stuff collection, painting the playhouse, working on another outside project). I listen to the pump as much as I watch the gauge. It cavitates when the filter pressures are high.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

A poor education about pool maintenance will not be rectified by upgrading to a DE filter. A sand filter is quite capable of keeping a pool clean. If you're fighting your pool with a sand filter, you will be fighting it with a DE filter as well.
    That's a very good post, GC. I concur completely.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School