Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Here From AZ---Pool Prime Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Here From AZ---Pool Prime Problem

Hey guys and gals, been lurking for a while but it was time to post. Love the site and all the info. So I'm having an issue. Pool is about 5 yrs old.

So my motor bearings and parts of the pump went out. Took both in to get repaired. They replaced bearings, impeller, etc. Went home hooked everything back up the same way. Pump turns on fine. I fill the basket full of water with the hose and put lid on. I turn the pump on and it just sucks the water out of the basket and then thats it. Its like I will have my son on the other end of the suction hose where the cleaner is and he says it pulls hard for one second then dies off. So it must be getting air in it. I messed with this **** thing for 3 hours yesterday afternoon in 110 weaher with no luck. I tried filling the basket with water with the valves on the just the drain, then just the hose, both and everythime nada. It has to be sucking in air. Not sure, anyone have this issue before.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Here From AZ---Pool Prime Problem

Welcome to TFP.

What type pool is it?
    Can you post a pic of the entire equipment pad?

Clean and lube the pump basket o-ring.
    Remove and reseal the drain plugs.
    If that doesn't work, run water over the suction plumbing and pump basket while trying to priime it and see if that helps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

i found a problem. If you look at the picture i posted just to the right of pump is the first connector. Its having a drip right there. Do you think that can stop it from priming...

4. Back To Top    #4

Any leak on the suction side will leak a lot of air in, so that certainly could be the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

well i had no luck again getting this started. I noticed some drips coming from a connectins on the intake end. I unscrewed the connection and noticed that there was no gasket. I called The Pump Co. up and told them whats going on they saiyd come on down and get it. Too bad they closed 10 min after i called them and i'm 45 away. He said there is no way to get it primed without that seal, its sucking in air. So if i dont get this going tomorrow i'm SOL cause my pool is gonna turn green. Im pretty ******. They need to pay attention to there work. My pump had a seal when i took it down. Anyways. Well see how tomorrow goes. Picture is attached where the seal should attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

It's too late now but you're gonna have to have that o-ring to ever get it to seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

You sure it's missing? On those tristar unions, the o-ring can easily stick to either the pump or the union side.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

All it needed was that seal and primed right up

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm glad it was that easy even if it was aggrevating.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator