Intex 24' round/Hayward EC50 DE Filter/Solar heater project?

Jul 6, 2011
Hello everyone! Okay I've finally decided to upgrade my useless Intex 2500gal filter, with a Hayward EC50 DE filter, and also incorporate a "Sunheat 4'x20'" solar heater to my 24' round Intex pool. I need advice on what is the most effective way to incorporate the heater to my setup. The heater manual says to connect the heater panels inline after the filter. My question is, since the new filter is rated at 50GPM, is this too much water flow for the heater panels? Will the heater restrict the water flow or reduce the filter's performance in any way? Thanks!! Should I incorporate a manual bypass valve so that I can control how much water goes to the collectors? Also even if I install a manual bypass valve, will the water still flow thru the collectors? Considering that water will always flow thru the path of least resistance, that been right back to the pool?

P.S the collectors are sitting next to the pool and about 3-4 feet higher than the pool's water line.

Re: Intex 24' round/Hayward EC50 DE Filter/Solar heater proj

Bama, thanks for your response. My next question is about the solar panels. My kit is a Solarheat 4x20' from smartpools. Inspecting the panels i noticed that inside the connecting pipes there are some discs like obstructions. Will these upstructions be a problem when i connect the panels in parallel? Instead of in series like the instructions indicate?. The upstructions are inside the pipes where the water will enter the panels, the outlet pipe is free of any discs. Thanks!

Re: Intex 24' round/Hayward EC50 DE Filter/Solar heater proj

That disc is to divert the flow through the panels so that the supply and return is on the same header. It will affect the flow when you hook them in parallel. You need to remove the obstruction. There are a couple of threads here where people have done that. A hole saw on an extension would probably be the best way to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.