Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner, DE filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner, DE filter question

We bought a house with a 16x32, oval, in-ground pool about 2 months ago. My filter is a Hayward EC-65 DE and I have a question. I have backwashed my filter a couple times already and after 2 weeks since my last backwash, my pressure is building up again. Do I need to take the head off the filter and clean the fingers? If I do, what should I soak the fingers in? Or do I just need to hose them down and put everything back together again?

Glad I found this site, lots of good information.

Thanks
    18,000 gallons
    Hayward EC-65 DE Filter
    IG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner, DE filter question

You can just hose down the fingers really well. If you still see a fast pressure rise and the pool is clear you may need to soak the fingers overnight in a solution of dishwasher powder and water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool actually looks great. Being a first time pool owner I was amazed how fast the pool cleared up after opening it. After 3 days it was clear and ready to go for a swim. My set-up is a little different because my pump and filter is below the pool level because it is located inside my basement. If I clean the pump skimmer, I pretty much have to drain the filter and replace the DE powder. It's strange but at least all my equipment is out of the weather and inside the house. After backwashing and recharging the filter my normal pressure is around 12lbs, tonight it was around 18 lbs and the flow didn't seem as strong going back into the pool. We had a lot of people in the pool over the weekend.......I didn't know if that would have something to do with it.

Thanks for the help!
    18,000 gallons
    Hayward EC-65 DE Filter
    IG

4. Back To Top    #4

Forgot to ask, what ratio for the dishwashing powder and water?
    18,000 gallons
    Hayward EC-65 DE Filter
    IG