Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me identify an older sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me identify an older sand filter?

Hi. I'm hoping to rebuild an older sand filter and am trying to determine who made it, and what the model is, so I can see if parts (seals, etc), might still be available for it. I'm attaching a photo that shows it, but a couple of additional bits of information that might not be obvious from the picture:

1) It's made out of stainless steel, with a welded steel base.
    2) It's about 15" in diameter, and 18"+ tall.

Kirk Bailey
    bailey (at) peak (dot) org
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Please help me identify an older sand filter?

How big is your pool? That is a very small (too small) sand filter for most pools.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm actually hoping to recycle it into service as an irrigation water filter for a well. According to a couple of published reports these filters can work well in that role.

Kirk Bailey

4. Back To Top    #4

Lafayette, Louisiana

Is there a pressure rating stamped into it anywhere? That's the only thing I'd be worried about. Pool pumps run much lower pressure than the ~50 psi that household pressures run.

What pressure does your well pump put out?

Otherwise, sounds like a great idea!

Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no pressure rating that I can find: That is part of what I hope to determine if someone recognizes the critter! The filter pressure gauge reads to 25 PSI, for what that's worth. On the positive side, I can adjust the irrigation pump output pressure to whatever works, subject to getting the job done. Running the system at 20 PSI, for example, should work fine in my situation (mostly modified drip irrigation).

Kirk Bailey