Under water breathing apparatus?

bcobb

Jul 24, 2011
Northern KY
Hello all!
I've got a crazy idea which I believe is easier and a more fun way to clean my inground pool. I've been diving down with my vacuum hose and been cleaning that way. However I need a way to breathe under water. I tried a garden hose attached to a snorkel and this didn't work past a couple feet deep. Anyone have anything that works?

Yes, I've got an automatic cleaner, but I would rather do it this way sometimes!
Thanks
Bryan

As I recall there is a fairly shallow limit (3-4 feet?) beyond which a snorkel won't work because the pressure outside your body is so much higher than the pressure at the end of the snorkel.

On the bright side, this should do a lot for your cardio fitness...

There's really no cheap way to breathe safely underwater, even just in a swimming pool. As you've already noticed, just extending your snorkel to the surface will not work.

People do breath with regulators off of basic shop type air compressors, but they are not meant for breathing air. They have the wrong lubricating oil in them and are generally not filtered properly for breathing. Also risks of Carbon Monoxide poisoning...

Next cheapest option is actual Scuba equipment. You can find this fairly cheap all over eBay or Craigslist if you know what you are looking for, BUT, no reputable Scuba shop will fill your tank unless you are a certified Scuba diver.

Another option is a small Low Pressure air compressor they sell for snorkelers. It floats on an innertube with about 30' of hose trailing down. Still some hazards if you don't understand differential pressure, and just how easily you can overinflate a human lung. Generally this is referred to as a "Hooka" rig. See Brownies Third Lung, below. Still not cheap new, but you could possibly find one used? They sell these alot to yacht owners for cleaning hulls. Pretty much the same thing as cleaning a pool...

Brownies Third Lung, various models:
http://www.browniesthirdlunginfo.com/th ... odels.html

BTW... I am a 25 year commercial diver/diving supervisor.

Jim

Thank you all so much for the responses. I consider myself a pretty smart guy who knows a lot about a lot of things....but I had no idea that I wasn't going to be able to breathe out of a tube in my 8 foot swimming pool!!

Andrew: I am needing to work on my cardio!

Belldiver, thank you especially, I understand the issues now and will probably just go on cleaning my pool the old fashioned way, with my vacuum head (and diving!).
Thanks again people!
Bryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted to send a update to this thread just in case someone else actually cares. :)

I found the perfect solution that does not involve scuba gear, but instead, duct tape! I simply duck tape my vacuum hose end to my skimmer pole so that it extends a few inches past the pole. I then don my snorkel gear, swim around the pool and vacuum. Much easier, quicker, cooler and more fun!
Thanks,
-Bryan

Sure, but this does not cover safety issues related to doing this sort of thing without proper training, lung over expansion injuries can happen in under 10 feet of water when breathing any form of pressurized air, including air from a hand pump. Such injuries can be fatal, or cause major neurologic problems.

Im a certified scuba diver, i've dove my pool for fun and for maintenance.

However, to vacuum nothing better than snorkeling the shallow end, then stand with snorkel in and walk into deep end. I am 6'3, so with snorkel just cresting the surface I can get pretty darn deep. Its great to see so clearly while vacuuming and is so simple. Not to mention relaxing! "Honey, im gonna go clean the pool, should be done in a couple hours".:snorkle:

Shame on all of you for just not being creative enough!

Do you have someone that can help you? You only need to generate about 5-7 PSI. Get one of these Amazon.com: AIRHEAD AHP-1 Airhead Hand Pump and have a helper pump air down to you... And hey, what a workout! if they stop, YOU drown! now THAT is motivation! (oh BTW be sure to get someone that actually likes you to do the pumping)

Now I knwo what you are thinking... " thats great but what about their leg workout?" well You could buy 2 of theses Amazon.com: Intex Bellows Foot Pump: Sports Outdoors

Ok, If you don't think you know anyone that likes you enough to be trusted to pump air down to you, make a robot/rube goldberg device to pump those automatically.

OR... Get yourself an electric leaf blower (not gas, unless you like dieing) and hook it up to a hose... It may get you down deep enough. Id recommend making sure you cant accidentally pull it into the pool... or you know... dead.

or get one of these Amazon.com: AirLine Outdoors

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.