Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Under water breathing apparatus?

1. Back To Top    #1

Under water breathing apparatus?

Hello all!
    I've got a crazy idea which I believe is easier and a more fun way to clean my inground pool. I've been diving down with my vacuum hose and been cleaning that way. However I need a way to breathe under water. I tried a garden hose attached to a snorkel and this didn't work past a couple feet deep. Anyone have anything that works?

Yes, I've got an automatic cleaner, but I would rather do it this way sometimes!
    Thanks
    Bryan
    Rheem 8350ti Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Under water breathing apparatus?

Would be helpful in repairing a leak in a vinyl liner, too.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

3. Back To Top    #3

S
    C
    U
    B
    A
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ha ha...thanks woodyp, but I was looking for something a little cheaper!
    Rheem 8350ti Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

As I recall there is a fairly shallow limit (3-4 feet?) beyond which a snorkel won't work because the pressure outside your body is so much higher than the pressure at the end of the snorkel.

On the bright side, this should do a lot for your cardio fitness...
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

There's really no cheap way to breathe safely underwater, even just in a swimming pool. As you've already noticed, just extending your snorkel to the surface will not work.

People do breath with regulators off of basic shop type air compressors, but they are not meant for breathing air. They have the wrong lubricating oil in them and are generally not filtered properly for breathing. Also risks of Carbon Monoxide poisoning...

Next cheapest option is actual Scuba equipment. You can find this fairly cheap all over eBay or Craigslist if you know what you are looking for, BUT, no reputable Scuba shop will fill your tank unless you are a certified Scuba diver.

Another option is a small Low Pressure air compressor they sell for snorkelers. It floats on an innertube with about 30' of hose trailing down. Still some hazards if you don't understand differential pressure, and just how easily you can overinflate a human lung. Generally this is referred to as a "Hooka" rig. See Brownies Third Lung, below. Still not cheap new, but you could possibly find one used? They sell these alot to yacht owners for cleaning hulls. Pretty much the same thing as cleaning a pool...

Brownies Third Lung, various models:
    http://www.browniesthirdlunginfo.com/th ... odels.html

BTW... I am a 25 year commercial diver/diving supervisor.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all so much for the responses. I consider myself a pretty smart guy who knows a lot about a lot of things....but I had no idea that I wasn't going to be able to breathe out of a tube in my 8 foot swimming pool!!

Andrew: I am needing to work on my cardio!

Belldiver, thank you especially, I understand the issues now and will probably just go on cleaning my pool the old fashioned way, with my vacuum head (and diving!).
    Thanks again people!
    Bryan
    Rheem 8350ti Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

No problem!

Didn't mean to rain on your parade. Just better to be safe.
    I scrub algae spots occasionally with my scuba gear but I happen to have it laying around. I doubt I'd go out and purchase it just for that purpose, although I do find it relaxing.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

9. Back To Top    #9

Also with a long snorkel, eventually all you will be doing is moving exhaled CO2 back and forth (with the nitrogen).
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

10. Back To Top    #10

Good call Mokabb...you are probably right.
    Rheem 8350ti Heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I wanted to send a update to this thread just in case someone else actually cares.

I found the perfect solution that does not involve scuba gear, but instead, duct tape! I simply duck tape my vacuum hose end to my skimmer pole so that it extends a few inches past the pole. I then don my snorkel gear, swim around the pool and vacuum. Much easier, quicker, cooler and more fun!
    Thanks,
    -Bryan
    Rheem 8350ti Heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Could something be used to pump air in/out like a fireplace hand air pump, with someone on deck?

Quote Originally Posted by mokabb View Post
    Also with a long snorkel, eventually all you will be doing is moving exhaled CO2 back and forth (with the nitrogen).

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure, but this does not cover safety issues related to doing this sort of thing without proper training, lung over expansion injuries can happen in under 10 feet of water when breathing any form of pressurized air, including air from a hand pump. Such injuries can be fatal, or cause major neurologic problems.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Im a certified scuba diver, i've dove my pool for fun and for maintenance.

However, to vacuum nothing better than snorkeling the shallow end, then stand with snorkel in and walk into deep end. I am 6'3, so with snorkel just cresting the surface I can get pretty darn deep. Its great to see so clearly while vacuuming and is so simple. Not to mention relaxing! "Honey, im gonna go clean the pool, should be done in a couple hours".
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

15. Back To Top    #15

What about breathing underwater with an oxygen concentrator? And simply putting the nasal cannula in your mouth. Then inhaling and exhaling into the water through your mouth while wearing a scuba mask?

16. Back To Top    #16

Shame on all of you for just not being creative enough!

Do you have someone that can help you? You only need to generate about 5-7 PSI. Get one of these Amazon.com: AIRHEAD AHP-1 Airhead Hand Pump and have a helper pump air down to you... And hey, what a workout! if they stop, YOU drown! now THAT is motivation! (oh BTW be sure to get someone that actually likes you to do the pumping)

Now I knwo what you are thinking... " thats great but what about their leg workout?" well You could buy 2 of theses Amazon.com: Intex Bellows Foot Pump: Sports Outdoors

Ok, If you don't think you know anyone that likes you enough to be trusted to pump air down to you, make a robot/rube goldberg device to pump those automatically.

OR... Get yourself an electric leaf blower (not gas, unless you like dieing) and hook it up to a hose... It may get you down deep enough. Id recommend making sure you cant accidentally pull it into the pool... or you know... dead.

or get one of these Amazon.com: AirLine Outdoors
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner