I think we want to get a saltwater system

Jun 26, 2012
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, and we are just putting a pool in at our place. I think we want to get a saltwater system, but I don't know much about them. OUr contractor has given us the following options and prices. ARe they good options?
We are putting in a relatively small inground, 15 x 23' oval. Planning to heat is as we are in Canada :)

Here are the options he gave us:
Choices:
1) Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ-CUL Salt Water Chlorine Generator - Up to 18,000 Gallons - $889 plus HST. Salt and Installation - $200 plus HST.

2) Pentair IntelliChlor Salt Water Chlorine Generator - Up to 20,000 Gallons - $1,463.00 plus HST. Salt and Installation - $200 plus HST

Are there big differences? I know that there are TONNES of options, so I thought I'd try a forum to see if these are good recommendations/prices or if there is something better we should ask for.

THanks!
Marissa

Re: Which SWG to get?

Do you know the volume of your pool? The bigger SWCGs, to a point, are more efficient and can last longer than one that's specific to your pool size. I don't know the conversion from Canadian to US dollars, so I have no idea if those are good prices or not.

Yes, get bigger than you need. Then you can dial the % down and not run it as hard. They do say it will last longer. You want everything on a digital timer as well. Those models may have built in timers.

Consider solar panels to heat the water if you have a place to put them. They are awesome.

The pool will be ~ 9000 gallons, so not that big. No real deep end...just 4-5' deep.

I pointed out to our pool guy that the aqua trol was marketed by hayward for above ground pools. He said that this was marketing, and that it is more important to size the generator correctly. The Aqua Trol is good up to 15000 gallons. Also, since our pool is appropriate for inground or above ground installation we should be fine. He makes a good point, saying that the water is the same, the chlorine demand is the same--the generators just depend on volume of water being serviced. Makes sense to me. However, I had concurrently sent a note to the manufacturer, and they said "DO NOT put the Aqua Trol for an inground pool. It is not created for in-ground pools due to the lack of a flow switch which would lead to an accumulation of gases inside your system. It is configured for above ground pools so that gases can escape in the pool."

Very confusing for a new pool owner!

Also, do you need a special heater for a saltwater pool? One that resists corrosion?

Thanks!

usagi

I bought the Aquatrol for my 24' x 48" ABG last year. Seems pretty adequate for my 13,000 gal. I run mine around 45% & works great. Bought it for $400+ change from a supplier in the members section on this site. Installation was a snap. Very easy. But my pool isn't open year round here in freeze country, so hoping I get some years out of it similar to the larger units on year-around pools. I will agree though that usually, bigger is better.

Yes, I was going to mention about the flow switch issue. The RJ (return jet) model needs to be installed vertically so it can outgas directly to the pool. They do make one though that does have a flow switch. I believe it's the HP model & should have a flow switch included.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.