Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended level for lots of direct sunlight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended level for lots of direct sunlight?

The recommended level in pool school says to ask for advice for a bunch of things.
    We have lots of direct sunlight - there are no trees to shade it.
    What do I need to do differently than the recommended levels given in pool school?
    NJ
    35,000 gallons, DE filter, IG plaster
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended level for lots of direct sunlight?

The only real difference is to make sure you are at the high end of the recommended range for CYA, or just above (don't go above 60).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

May just want the CYA at the high end (closer to 50ppm).
    What are your current levels?
    Do you have reason to be concerned?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

ok thanks!
    no problems, just getting everything set up - added cya a few days ago so going to wait a few more days to see where im at
    NJ
    35,000 gallons, DE filter, IG plaster
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I have direct sunlight all the time..Never had a problem..Run my CYA at about 30 when opening up...I bump it up when it get Summer..Now running about 45..I do keep a solar blanket on to keep the temp up&keep's the pool cleaner.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

neen01:

My pool is in the full Texas sun much of the day. I am currently at 30 CYA. If my FC consumption were to spike (and I have confirmed that there are no other issues causing this), then I would add more CYA. So far, though, that has not happened. Of course, every pool is different and regular testing is the only way to do what's right for your pool. I tend to be conservative with CYA and like to leave a little "room to grow" in case I go on vacation out of town and am forced to temporarily use trichlor pucks if I cannot get a trusted adviser to look after the pool while I'm gone.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.