Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deep ends and AGP's

1. Back To Top    #1

Deep ends and AGP's

My family and I got into a discussion today about our options. Does anyone here have a deep end in an above ground pool that is not traditional 4 feet on one side and 7ft on the other?

We were talking about 4 feet on the ends and 5 feet in the middle to make the entire pool usable to all members of our house. Or, 5 feet all the way.
    Obviously there would be no diving but there really ins't any in an above ground pool anyway. I just don't wan't a deep end that will only be used a small portion of the time that the pool is being used. I bought an 18x34 for its size. I don't want everyone congregating on the shallow end.

So, what do you have? any ideas? Install pics?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deep ends and AGP's

I haven't seen that in an agp, but it should be quite possible since the expandable liner will stretch just as well in the middle as it does on the ends.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is scooped out in the middle to about 5'. Mine is round though. I can't see why you couldn't' do the same with an oval pool too.
    28 foot doughboy AGP, dug out to 5 foot, about 18,000 gallons
    1 1/2 HP pump and 100 lb sand filter
    South Central Pennsylvania

4. Back To Top    #4

barnyard,
    Does yours have the 4 foot deep 3 foot wide ring along the outter wall and deepen to 5 ft towards the center after that?
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    barnyard,
    Does yours have the 4 foot deep 3 foot wide ring along the outter wall and deepen to 5 ft towards the center after that?
    Hi Glock,
    I did mine like this. I have a 21' round with 32" flat around the inside wall and went 68" deep (4" just shy of 6') in the center. I used a 72" expandable liner. I went buried 14" inground.
    I love it! If I had to do it all over again I would make the slope more severe and go all the way to 6' feet deep with a flatter center, might be harder to set the liner, but I would try!
    I do have a few wrinkles, my crew that Sherri promoted got in too big of a hurry while I was still at work and had the pool dip filled before I got home and scolded them all!
    I would try and use some kind of roller also to smooth the sand bottom more, I tamped it with one I bought at Home Depot.

Here's some of my pic's in this post:
    one-fool-s-others-method-for-doing-a-round-agp-deep-end-t41164.html

I'll post a couple more pic's in that post this weekend now that it's up!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

That gives me hope. I can only go 5-5 1/2 feet since everyone in my house is short except me. But, I know it can be done now. I will try to draw up a rendering of my pool and post it in my build thread.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is what I am wanting to do. I hope it can be done.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would plan to radius your corners of the deep end more. The way you have it drawn will make it more difficult to keep wrinkle free when the liner stretches into place (unless you get a custom liner). Also, I might think about a more shallow entry from at least one of the shallow ends, maybe both.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Like this?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, but still leave some more shallow area on the ends. This brings up a good point though, why not put the deep end on one end so that you have a good portion of both? Also, I would go deeper than 5 ft since that is where the fun swimming really comes in. I went with 6, but at the point I redo my liner, I may go even deeper (though it will be tricky with my small pool).

11. Back To Top    #11

That is what the debate is about with my family. I think I will be the only one using the deep end. I just don't want any regrets. Gah! I hate indecision.

12. Back To Top    #12

How about 2/3 shallow, 1/3 deep end with the deep end on one end?

13. Back To Top    #13

Like a traditional but only 5' deep in the deep end?

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah...though I would go 6

Much more efficient areas then...nice large shallow end. I am not a big fan of these sport pools with the middle being deep...but most of those are bigger than your pool when they do that.

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmm, good point. I could do 6. I might just do that. then the slope would be less and the actual 6 ft section would be bigger.